Register To Comment

Thread: HDPE/Acrylic/Nylon/RG1000

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Redirect Left
    So i'm currently designing my first featherweight, and a little stuck on the right sort of material.

Originally I was going to use Acrylic, as i thought a clear bot would be rather neat looking, and I know from experience it's rather strong at a decent thickness, however a little research showed it was quite hard to work with compared to other stuff, you can't angle grind through it without risk of shattering, drilling can chip and weaken the structure considerably, a screw being a little too tight can crack it deeply, etc.
    So I looked a littler further on the plastics website (directplastics.co.uk is what i'm using), and came across HDPE, Nylon & RG1000. HDPE & Nylon I know already are fairly common choices, although I personally don't know the strength differences between the two.
    RG1000 is entirely new to me, I don't know the ins and outs of it, and googling for it doesn't seem to bring up much.

Price wise, lots of difference, all include VAT (all taken from the website noted above)
    1000x500(mm) RG1000 = £53 (8mm)
    1000x500(mm) Acrylic = £46 (8mm)
    1000x500(mm) Nylon = £87 (6mm) (they don't do this in 8mm)
    1000x500(mm) HDPE = £32 (8mm)
    The thickness is just a reference, I've not decided end thickness of everything yet

Does anyone know these plastics, and the ins and outs of them compared to each other? I'd be greatly appreciative if anyone can take the time to help me worm through the plastics to find a suitable one for my need
    I might still use a tad of acrylic for the top, if it proves strong enough at a certain thickness to withstand featherweight hammers and similar
    Last edited by Redirect Left; 18th July 2017 at 19:26.

Register To Comment