Register To Comment
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: Project Squirrel

Team Kaizen

Silver steel is OK. If you needed a upgrade to the silver steel, I sometimes have used tool steel bolts which are harder to bend.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Okay, I'm back with more questions... good lord, I need to get my act together.

So the first reduction chain would have a 6mm pitch to it leading between both the motor and the sprocket it's going to. This being the starting sprocket on the motor: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174202985284

Question is would it be alright for me to swap over to a different size chain pitch and different sprocket to act as the start of the second reduction?

I'm sorry if the question's confusing, just trying to sort things out measurement wise.
    Last edited by Outlaw; 29th May 2022 at 02:23.

Team Kaizen

Question is would it be alright for me to swap over to a different size chain pitch and different sprocket to act as the start of the second reduction?
    Technically yes, you can use a different pitch set of sprockets and chains for the second stage but what is the advantage in doing that? You end up with two sets of incompatible chains that means you have to carry spares for both in the event they break. For the power of the motor, I would honestly stick to 6mm pitch for both stages to start off with.

Okay, fair enough. Now for the 1:4 ratio, can't exactly find a 44 tooth sprocket to make the 1:4 ratio work... would a 45 tooth sprocket work? Just wanting to cover all bases here, and make sure I don't end up screwing up.

Team Kaizen

45/11 is 4.09 so it isn't adding anything signifcant to the overall reduction, you should be OK.

Excellent. Last 2 questions for now...

1: Should I use 11T Steel Simplex sprockets (this one):

Or am I overthinking it and should use Platewheel Simplexes for all three parts of the mechanism? I ask because I feel like the "dm" bit on the 11T would be a bit too large for a 12mm steel shaft with key to go through and could lead to breaking said sprocket without so much of me breathing on it.

And 2, would it help for me to use a couple of Shaft Collars to keep the shafts from sliding out on use?

Once again I apologise for all the questions, just that I've been sitting on this project for so long, I just wanna get this right...
    Last edited by Outlaw; 30th May 2022 at 00:55. Reason: Dyslexia sucks.

Team Kaizen

Or am I overthinking it and should use Platewheel Simplexes for all three parts of the mechanism? I ask because I feel like the "dm" bit on the 11T would be a bit too large for a 12mm steel shaft with key to go through and could lead to breaking said sprocket without so much of me breathing on it.
    I am not sure I follow. If you go down the key route, you need to account for half of the key height in the bore. I've had keys done in quite thin boss widths in relation to the bore without breaking. I'll see if I can get a photo of the key.

And 2, would it help for me to use a couple of Shaft Collars to keep the shafts from sliding out on use?
    I've used them on the old version of Jibril and yeah, two inner shaft collars work. I do advise getting ones where they use two bolts though, single split collars don't work in my experience.

I am not sure I follow. If you go down the key route, you need to account for half of the key height in the bore. I've had keys done in quite thin boss widths in relation to the bore without breaking. I'll see if I can get a photo of the key.
    Yeah, dyslexia's a bit of a you know what. I guess what I'm trying to say is that in that image, and with what the listing says is that the boss diameter being 14mm, and the shaft being 12mm, I'm honestly not sure the thin boss width'd be a bit too thin. Or am I just worrying for no good reason?

Team Kaizen

Yeah, that is a bit too thin. 12 + (4/2) = 14mm which would be a problem. I would get a 12T sprocket with a 12mm bore since that should have a 16mm wide boss. You'll lose a litte bit on the reduction then (45 / 12 = 3.75:1) but assuming you are still using the 11T sprocket on the scoother motor, you'd want a 24T spocket to compensate (24 / 11 = 2.18:1, so 2.18 * 3.75 = ~8.18:1).

So... after a long... overdue conversation with myself, I decided to just put Ratatoskr on the backburner for now... but now I've got new ideas, and I reckon it's probably best if I start even smaller... and look around for a beetleweight kitbot. Just to get started off.

I've been having a look around, and at the moment, the two that've caught my eye are the Fingertech Viper kit, which is mainly used for antweights but could be upgraded to beetleweights... or so I've heard, or the D2 kit.

If anyone's got any other suggestions for kits, then I'll happily have a look into them.

And I will be copy-pasting this into Build Diaries or Beetleweights, just because the current thing doesn't belong in featherweights right now.
    Last edited by Outlaw; 14th February 2024 at 16:59.

Register To Comment