Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Batteries

Team Gremlin
    Has anyone on here ever used a lipo ebike battery?.. just sort of wondering what disadvantages to using one would be compared to the main go to batteries..other than extra weight?

I've taken one apart before and it was just a load of standard Lipo pouches wired together. Ebike batteries tend to be high capacity but low discharge. Not really ideal for combat use, but if you already have some or can get them for free then they should work for anything that doesn't need too much current.

Most of the Ebike batteries have a low C value.
    Not ment to put out a lot of ampères in 1 go, like we need for our machines.

Also, in a decent ebike battery box there is an electronics board that makes sure the cells are balanced when charging.
    That board too isn't ment for any decent ampére handling.

In the very cheap knock offs, that board is lacking, and the cells are just charged in series, making sure the pack will fail inside a few dozen charge cycles.

It wouldn't be hard to strip it down and put a standard balance lead and power lead on it, but it really wouldn't be worth it unless they were essentially free.

If anyone has a specification they might like to recommend i can compare to the high amp lithium batteries we use in the motorcycle trade for starting 1000cc high compression bikes. I have a good trade supplier (been in the trade 10 years)
    so i can take a few apart to compare and check the ratings books we have.

Fairly typical bike battery Dimensions of battery, 150 x 87 x 105mm, Weight approx 1000gThe CCA rating of this battery is 210 Amps -

12v
    Last edited by katch; 7th March 2017 at 08:50.

Ah and voltage of that "typical bike battery" should tell us more.

updated 12v

12V , 1 kg 210A. Not what we look for.

Just to give a comparisation.
    Bullfrog uses a pair of 5S (18.5V) 8000mAh 30C packs in series.
    This gives us 37V with a peak of 320A and a weight of 1.85kg
    Bullfrog is a heavy, and uses about 4000mAh in a normal fight. We ran the Moscow event on 5000mAh packs that could kick out more A for less weight. But then the batteries wore out so fast it wasn't fun anymore.

Thats why i asked for comparison info. Flying blind and learning. most of these batteries cost me £15 so thought it might be worth considering. The largest battery is CCA 360 amps on 12.8v. they are all in shells that can be broken open and disposed off. General public seem to struggle with the concept a smaller battery can still start the bike. I'll email the manufacturer for more info. The smallest is 418 grams, the biggest 360amps 1428 grams. The previous figure was a generic shipping weight so way off what it actually is. I'll break one open tonight to see if the specs are on the batteries.

In PP3D we use optipower drone packs. 4s, 8Ah. I forget what the burst current is but it's 500A plus. To run PP3D we use 6 of these packs on the weapon giving the etek 12s (50v ish) and 16Ah. After a typical fight we had extracted around half this capacity. The drive uses a 3000Ah 6s pack which will typically run for a good 10 minutes on our T64 drive motors.

Register To Comment