Register To Comment

Thread: Skirts and a big fan

for the skirts a simple way to do it would be just bolting the plates on and having the bolts fairly loose with the holes for the bolts oversize, so the plates can move a bit, and then gravity will just drop them to the floor. its what some people do with their front wedge, or at least I do

I guess most people just weld or bolt on three or so big door hinges for each plate, and put them on the inside so they don't get ripped off. I suppose you could put some torsion springs on too if you were worried about them getting stuck too far upwards. Storm 2 in Series 7 had three hinges to each plate by the looks of things, and they held on pretty well. Panic Attack however looks like it used big long hinges that ran the length of the robot.

+1 for not using commercially available hinges. I used 'heavy duty' hinges from B&Q back in 2011 and they barely lasted 30 seconds. Just not designed for the rough and tumble of combat robots. Harry's CAD design is probably the best way to implement them effectively and robustly.

Just as a bit of info systems like this draw a MONSTROUS amount of power. You need a lot of battery to even feed it. I had several antweight versions and the largest which was able to increase its effective weight about 3 times would draw up to 20A... In an ant.

With the hinged skirts you'll also be dramatically increasing friction and your robot may not be able to move.

Register To Comment