Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holes in the side of buffer bottles

I assume this is to add a fitting to the side of the bottle. I would advise against it, the wall thickness is about 5mm. This is not enough to tap for a decent BSP thread. Then ends of the bottle are thicker, this can be done. But to pass the rules it should be pressure tested and certified as a custom component.

Not a good plan. It does compromise the strength greatly.
    I have seen buffers with the wall strengthened with a welded on plate to have a thicker wall to be tapped.
    Rule of tumb. For aluminium 1/2bsp needs 14mm of thread. 3/4bsp 20mm and 1"bsp 25mm.

If the couplings are removed and remounted on regular basis, it is better to have a steel or bronze insert.

Easier option is to use the already available threaded hole with an adaptor.

Can't you fit it to the base ? You can use a 1/4" bsp fitting and put a steel locknut inside then.

In Bullfrog I made a steel buffer to fit the space we had.
    A tad heavier than an ali bottle, but the easy of making it and the cheapness of the material compensated hugely for that.
    And the added value of having it as a part of the frame is nothing to sneeze at.

It's a steel tube with welded on couplings and lids. Pressure tested by the firm that delivered the steel tube.
    I worked there 2 decades ago, and I still have good contacts there.

In the pics I've seen of Bullfrog, it looks as thought the tube is welded across the chassis as a structural member and the hardox sides of the chassis become the end caps of the buffer tank. Is this so?

Register To Comment