Register To Comment

Thread: Current requirements for hdpe thicknesses

Equinox can dig trough 10mm without breaking a sweat.

I would say, 20mm sides at least, lid and top 8mm.

But then you're getting in Hardox weightrange (25mm HDPE=3.2mm Hardox450), and good angled Hardox is better armor than HDPE in any thickness.

I'd say the fixings and catch points are very important too, if you just screw 20mm pieces of HDPE together theyll just get ripped apart

Equinox in action, last 4 seconds, against bonx. One good hit and several HSS bolts lost their heads, taking the entire top of.

Hatchet is 20mm hdpe sides/back and front and 10mm on the base, all held together with barrel nuts and high tensile bolts. It's taken on countless big spinners over the years and has never taken any significant damage.

Quote Originally Posted by maddox10 View Post
    Equinox can dig trough 10mm without breaking a sweat.

I would say, 20mm sides at least, lid and top 8mm.

But then you're getting in Hardox weightrange (25mm HDPE=3.2mm Hardox450), and good angled Hardox is better armor than HDPE in any thickness.
    But hardox will get a bit mangled, and if its a welded shell chances are it'll get distorted - Hdpe will keep the shape better I think...

I'm in the same dilemma on what armor to go for, hardox, titanium or hdpe.
    I'm siding more with Titanium and Hdpe rather than hardox mainly because of weight concerns.
    For 3.2mm hardox I can get 6mm of titanium or 25mm of hdpe so I'm inclined to use titanium for the front ( thinking it will be more rigid than hardox ) and hdpe sides....I could be wrong tho

If it doesnt need to keep an edge, for a wedge etc, then I think HDPE is best, at least for side and back armour

Register To Comment