Register To Comment
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Just an idea, building a robot with no welding

Quote Originally Posted by TechAUmNu View Post
    Also our design is almost all bolted. The only welds are to attach the teeth to the spinning ring.
    Surely someone has flagged that up as a really bad idea :-P The welds will crack/fracture. If the teeth a keyed in then its not so bad but still... That could be a major safety issue.

First post........ hi

Back in the day, wasn't Cassius 3 all ally plates tapped and c sink screwed together?

Quote Originally Posted by Eventorizon View Post
    Surely someone has flagged that up as a really bad idea :-P The welds will crack/fracture. If the teeth a keyed in then its not so bad but still... That could be a major safety issue.
    They are fully welded on all sides and recessed. Bolts can break too you know. If you are that worried about it, you can attach them with a safety line.

That is why I prefer monoblock disks. Idealy grown as a single crystal.
    But for now I'll use higher grades of Hardox waterjetted or lasercut.

I shan't go into detail about what the design is, although I will say that it's a spinner with a difference and with a solution to the problem of a spinner being able to be neutralised by a robot closing them down before their weapon is up to speed.
    Your best defence against box rushing is a powerful, high torque motor to keep the spin-up time to a minimum, I'd rather put the weight into a better motor than some device that may or may not work.

"The welds will crack/fracture"

If your welds are done properly then they should be far stronger than any keyed or bolted solution to attach teeth to a disc or ring. Typhoon 2s teeth were welded on and they never once had a failure.

I'm curious to see your idea. No point in every spinner being the same with a large etek or similar motor etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TechAUmNu View Post
    They are fully welded on all sides and recessed. Bolts can break too you know. If you are that worried about it, you can attach them with a safety line.
    I wouldn't bolt them on either. All our weapons are singe billets of metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventorizon View Post
    I wouldn't bolt them on either. All our weapons are singe billets of metal.
    If we could do them as a single piece we would.

Its fair enough to make a normal bar or disc spinner from a single piece, but ring spinners are exceedingly expensive just for the ring itself. It would be possible to do if your teeth are inline with the ring which for our spinner would be £>1200 for a single piece to get water jetted. However, our teeth are angled at 45°. So either you get a huge slab of hardox and somehow machine that down, god knows how much that would be. Or you get a single piece ring and weld the teeth on.

Olivia Grand
    @ MACKEMFOREVER You was asking peoples opinion about building a robot which is bolt together.
    " I have plenty of experience" if this is true why are you asking about bolt together robots.
    I'm sorry if mere mortals such as myself voice our opinions and they're not to your liking!
    On second thoughts bolt your robot together and see what damage it can do against my inferior welded version, geez!

Wow! Calm down
    He meant plenty of experience in welding not building bolt on bots....at least thats how I got it

Register To Comment