Register To Comment

Thread: Hardox 400 vs 500

Is there any tangible difference between Hardox 400 and 500 for our applications?

I am looking at this both from an armour standpoint and for a large ring spinner.

For armour obviously, the 500 will be much harder to machine, but is the extra strength worth the hassle?
    Would a piece of 10mm grade 500 plate be equivalent to a 12mm grade 400 one, allowing large weight savings with the same level of protection?

On a large ring spinner where the material is 40x35mm would it make any difference? I would expect the teeth to be much tougher and not get bent as much.

Just a thought, cant you use a replaceable tip so once its chipped and blunt you can simply throw it away and put in a new one? say something like a carbide insert or something similar you could buy off the shelf...

If you can go for 500 then do it. Yes it's a bit more of a pain to machine up but the increase in properties in the arena is worth it.

If your teeth are removable, at the energies in a heavyweight then they will remove themselves in the arena. Supernova in the last series being a prime example.

Quote Originally Posted by typhoon_driver View Post
    If you can go for 500 then do it. Yes it's a bit more of a pain to machine up but the increase in properties in the arena is worth it.

If your teeth are removable, at the energies in a heavyweight then they will remove themselves in the arena. Supernova in the last series being a prime example.

That was what I was thinking, especially when we are throwing so much money at it. Makes sense to spend 10% extra to get something that will last longer. I hope our teeth won't all fall out! Got them in a recess and fully welded.

As for machining, we are just giving the pieces to our workshop at uni to drill the 60 or so holes. So they can deal with that! lol

You might want to give your techs a heads up on the material and make sure they have appropriate drill bits available. From my own memory of university techs, they generally don't come across materials much harder to work with than mild steel as projects rarely called for anything better. The few times they did it took a hell of a lot longer to get parts made as they had to tool up especially for it.

If the teeth are properly welded in then they shouldn't come out. Typhoon 2s teeth weren't recessed into the ring, merely shaped around the curve and then welded on. Never had a failure (Although we did get guys well experienced welding hardox to that for us).

Quote Originally Posted by typhoon_driver View Post
    You might want to give your techs a heads up on the material and make sure they have appropriate drill bits available. From my own memory of university techs, they generally don't come across materials much harder to work with than mild steel as projects rarely called for anything better. The few times they did it took a hell of a lot longer to get parts made as they had to tool up especially for it.

If the teeth are properly welded in then they shouldn't come out. Typhoon 2s teeth weren't recessed into the ring, merely shaped around the curve and then welded on. Never had a failure (Although we did get guys well experienced welding hardox to that for us).
    Yeah, we are going to be getting them to do some aluminium parts that won't fit in my cnc, so will be asking them about it then. If they don't have the right drills we will probably just buy a couple packs and hand them over with the material.

Yeah, shouldn't have any problems. So long as our rather flimsy looking holders for the skateboard wheels don't break I think it will all go well.

Register To Comment