Register To Comment

Thread: Where to Build?

Vilvoorde in Belgium, nearby Brussels, is a "hub" for builders. Now there are 2 places to do so.

House of Chaos( Babs and my place) and Atelier Vilvoorde, a Maker Space alike setup, run bij another roboteer , Jan Huygh from Hard.

First Welcome! Always good to have new Roboteers

If you don't have a space to do welding then perhaps you could build a machine out of plastic first? I made my first robot using a Drill and a Jigsaw... and a lot of mess. Even now our live event bots are done with those tools as its just cheaper. We do the occasional but of welding but nothing drastic so you might be able to get away with setting it up outside on an evening or morning when no on is around.

We have cut everything from HDPE to Titanium with our jigsaw so provided you take your time you can cut almost anything!

Failing that, the Hackspace is a good idea, or find another local roboteer and ask to pop over. Most Roboteers accept Beer/Cider/Pepsi as payment

I had this problem when I first joined, and I made a thread about it. The first page may help you.
    http://www.fightingrobots.co.uk/thre...build-my-robot

I'm currently dealing with the same issue and it's highly frustrating after building Overdozer under a gazebo it's basically been top priority to get something sorted.

An idea I explored initially was seeing what the local council provided - mine does garage sites (where you erect a structure on the plot) and lockups - more like a garage but often under waiting lists. Though naturally they'd require a generator and security would be somewhat of a concern, as for the noise of a generator you could build a baffle box that will dampen the sound considerably.

Also looked into Gumtree for workshop spaces but these often run very expensive and that's not idea.

I'd go with what people have suggested though - looking into hackerspaces, they're small and usually well kitted out plus full of very knowledgeable people. Another option I've also looked into is looking for a local model engineering society/club.

In the end I've managed to strike a deal with my Grandpa to clear a plot of land and erect a shed.

Register To Comment