Register To Comment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Skinner

Getting quite tempted to break out the MiG. Concept so far is only a sketch in plywood , but would involve a 50lb+ drum powered by a Briggs Stratton with victor 883's juicing some Bag motors and Vex gearboxes into 16" wheels. Frame mainly constructed from 20mm tube apart from the ubiquitous hardox box containing the expensive bits and cheap Chinese titanium. Car tyre armour and pivot bars with mini remora multibots, basically spikes with big magnets on their head to go stick on an opponent. Sprinkle in machine learning cluster mesh and devolved autonomous operation with all functions of robot currently being live tweeted by onboard BBC microbit as a way to ensure automatic selection for series 2. Something for the robo professor to discuss, Semi fragile design to appeal to production based on the promise of skinning to death other weak entries and going large on self destruction to those who spend too much.

inverted of course

Last edited by adamclark; 31st August 2016 at 13:03.

Would love to hear any input. But please note that before you do, I suffer like many others here from Dunning-Kruger syndrome. Quite a serious disease.

Fixed axle on the drum, 30mm Kart axle most likely with rotating mass and pulley spinning on it. Side pods to be added and to provide outrigger stability to wheel axles.

I've plumped for a fixed stub axle for my 30(ish degree) spinner (ala Wild Thing)

I wanted to go full vertical, but figured it'd just fall over.

So you reckon belt drive? - 259 was belt, what about that other spinner you had?
    Looking at cobalt, Mouldy seemed to have a centrifugal clutch, then chain drive?

Relay contactor, or speed controlled ?

also I think I'd have gone with orange buckets.

Used v-belts before. They seemed to do the trick and had some built in slippage. Calculations for belt size between centres more forgiving than with tooth belt or chain. I did run a chain drive on the Blendo clone, but that had the benefit of a centrifugal clutch on the 4-stroke. There are some slipper pulleys as well , but probably simple is best for a do or die excursion. I presume you mean a 30 degree from horizontal disk or bar?. I'd expect a lot of tombstone and minatour clones to crop up. Very simple no nonense designs with large damage prospects if they keep working. Contactor for the ease again, you just turn on and forget and don't worry. Orange buckets too expensive. Black buckets only 99p forms wickes.

Are magnets allowed according to the build rules? I'm thinking of in particular 13.2.4.
    http://www.robotwars.tv/media/1243/r...uild-rules.pdf

If its not intended to affect a robots electronics then its ok, in the same way you need teathers on certain weapons like axes which are not intended to entangle another robot. I'd keep the magnets relatively low force, say 25kg with direct contact, so that their magnetic field is fairly localised. If you still have concerns, email Robot Wars and ask.

Register To Comment