Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spinning Top Robotics

One of the ideas I thought worth thinking about is basically a remote control motorised spinning top with an outer shell on top counter spinning to give a frame of reference. The robot would use weight distribution or a moving contact to move in any given direction and the sides would form a blade. Does anyone have ideas on how I could go about designing something like this?

I need to learn through having my first ant weight built and fighting but wanted to throw this idea out there to see what others think anyway. It would be nice to have more risky builds, rather than the safe (because we know they work well) designs to add more variety. That of course isn't a complaint about those builds, rather the fact it is tempting to always do what is known to work. I know my first builds will fall into the safe category for example.

https://hackaday.io/project/1413-rc-battle-spinning-top
    This gives an idea of what somebody else had also been thinking of. The only other thing similar would be the beyblade toys that can be controlled when already in motion.

Here is a a video that shows how this form of motion can stabilize (as well as move) such a bot if it were built.

The internal mode of movement might look something like this.

If I wanted to go for lighting then maybe something like this.

Heresy !

Thank you. Yes the BB-8 mode of transport is interesting. It would take a very very skilled team to weaponise what is essentially a rolling sphere. It could be done, but harder than this idea.

I just want new ideas that fit with what is possible today.

Quote Originally Posted by adamclark View Post
    Heresy !
    Just to clarify. The idea is to use weights on the inside that can be moved to tilt the robot. It would mostly work like a gyroscopic helicopter crossed with a motorised spinning top. I might actually try a POC by using a small gyroscopic helicopter. Is there anyone any good at CAD or programming that might be interested in working on such a project? There is no way this could work without a small computer of some kind either remotely or on board.

Although this is only ONE of the crazy contraptions I was thinking of. Other ideas were inspired by these videos.

Even the self assembly you see in transformers/power rangers (I really don't like power rangers - this is just a helpful example) is an interesting concept. Think of small armbots, a main body (using tank tracks and a fold down structure) and a head.

Register To Comment