Register To Comment
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New HW design - Omni Wheels and 30kW spinner

Looks cool, build it!

Be sure to note that there is actually a max RPM for spinners at robotwars.... hence the weight in the weapon.... if you reach the maximum speed, add weight.

I have decided to go ahead with the external bearings and will be working more on the design tomorrow night. Should I start a build log or just keep posting updates here?

Hey Jake,
    You guys planning on entering next series? Will be hilarious to see them bouncing off each other!

Ringmaster.jpg

You're not the first team to attempt such a build. The Ringmaster was built and competed in Battlebots in the US. I'd check out their Facebook page and read up on what issues they had during construction and combat so you can avoid the same problems.

In theory ring spinners should be devastating but in practice they tend to kill themselves or break. If you can may it work though you are onto a winner!

Yeah, I am borrowing some concepts from their design. Although don't really have a big enough CNC for a full CNCed ring/chassis! Or money to make it from magnesium alloy

Quote Originally Posted by TechAUmNu View Post
    Yeah, I am borrowing some concepts from their design. Although don't really have a big enough CNC for a full CNCed ring/chassis! Or money to make it from magnesium alloy
    Have you priced how much it would cost to have it done for you by an engineering firm?

we are planning on getting the ring done on water jet by k-cut, although I haven't looked into pricing yet I would image that is much cheaper than getting it milled. Also lets us use hardox for the ring.

I imagine printed parts are out of the question for something that large.

I don't know how well K-cut does thick material like your ring, but waterjetting usually leaves a rough surface and a vertical taper - even when the operator says it doesn't. You might get away with just grinding off high spots, but I'd get the ring cut before building the support bearings, just in case tolerances need to be tweaked

We have 2 3d printers, so can print things in parts and weld them together to get any size. We are also just finishing a cnc mill that should be done in the next few weeks, max part size on that is 300x300x150mm though.

Register To Comment