Register To Comment

Thread: Hello! I'm looking for a ton of advice and help!

Ever since Robot Wars was first aired back in 1998, It had inspired me all through my childhood, making pretend replica's of series one machines to scale from odd bit's of plywood even with some cardboard things, but since the show got more awesome with hypno-disk and other awesomely destructive machines, non of the replica's survived, but now being 24 and still to this day having the drive, to have a go at building and learning! The new series has re sparked my addiction to the idea of robot combat! whilst being settled to wanting to at least try and make a somewhat competitive featherweight!

I do have to be open with the learning difficulties and disability's i have... After a long battle in trying to find out what's wrong with me, I've not so long ago been diagnosed with Asperger's and it's still got quite a negative effect but i'm working my way through with having dyslexia and dyspraxia, spacial awareness problems and other silly things but i don't want to let any of that take me down!

Anyways, after talking a little to the storm II team on Facebook they sent me here to ask the same questions i asked them which is about finding help and putting my idea out there for seeing how much things would cost!

The machine i'd like to figure out building would be some kind of storm II featherweight with a beta styled hammer/axe mechinism, with some awesome pushing power! I don't know much about the tech side or any of this really but if there was a way to get crazy power to weight ratio and to compact and find a way to get a similar mechanism that beta has from Battlebots it could be something special maybe... especially if there was also a way to have interchangeable weapons like a tornado styled spinning disk to even having a lifter... but the main idea is for compacting the beta hammer and having that!

Since i have no real experience the biggest problem i have is going to be struggling with building the actual chassis, weapon mechanism, Armour etc! for the wiring and everything else i should be able to do? with a bit of help but I'd like to ask if it's possible and the price of having the parts machined out with spares and the price it would cost to have that done!

I understand the idea of building the machines totally from scratch myself but i wouldn't understand the size or weight things about building one of these machines, let alone all the wiring and electronics! but maybe if i did get this sorted some how i'd eventually try and build one myself but since the resource of people that have been doing this kind of thing for years it's too good to pass up and worth a shot asking for help!

I feel like i'd be more of a driver than a technical side of the battles, i'm not sure if my idea is possible, from the money side since i know it would be rather pricey but having an estimate gives me a goal to save for!

Anyways i hope i've posted in the right place and i hope i'm not being too silly, having anxiety problems aswell as the other stuff makes me feel rather silly, but at the moment the robot does have a name 'Soulstorm' which is totally inspired by Storm II!

Last edited by Soulstorm Robotics; 15th August 2016 at 21:39.

Hey there, welcome to the FRA forums! Yes this is the right place to ask your questions, there are plenty of members who really know what they're talking about. I'm still working on my first Featherweight, but from what I've seen a robot like the one you describe should be possible. You might want to take it one step at a time though, you've laid down plenty of ideas, and you'll want to plan this out carefully if you want interchangeable weaponry. People who know more than I do will likely comment and give you the answers you need, if not I'll answer anything when I get back to my PC tomorrow (as I'm just on mobile right now). Anyway again, welcome, and best of luck with your bot!

Thank you! and i'll definitely need all the luck i can get!

Wow, why shouting?

To answer one important question. Yes, you can farm out the manufactoring of components.
    Many of us learned the hard way, even if the initial pricetag can/will be steep, the benefits are proportional.

A few roboteers do make or sell parts. Some for the challenge, others to pay for the tools and new robots they build. You'll find them on the forum.

Best start is to read the build diaries on this forum, come to live events, talk to the roboteers.
    Surpising low numbers of obnoxious or arrogant of people doing Robot Wars.

Hey there and welcome to the forum! Youve come to the right place

Register To Comment