Register To Comment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tx and rx combo

Seems after X years, my FF6 fails to work anymore. No doubt the crystals have grown and filled the little cans up. So I'm looking to get a new eBay combo. Dx6i seems to be a favourite although some DX3's would seem to do the job. Only concerned with L/R and F/R and weapon F/R so what would be a good RX and whats with the telemetry inputs on some of these RX now? Is dx6 a good choice or would a 5 do the job as well as they seem to be all spread spectrum too. (-and cheaper)

The spread spectrum protocols are different between manufacturers (as you had probably guessed) but across the same company they should all be compatible with each other, as long as you make sure you're using say a DSMX reciever with DSMX transmitters you'll be fine. (You *mght* be able to revive the FF6 with a 2.4ghz hack module and new battery pack but having gone down that route myself I'd reccommend something new tbh!)

Telemetry seems to be quite a model aircraft specific thing, I can see some situations where having a temperature reading would be useful maybe in a robot?

One other thing for RW purposes is due to the amount of wifi flying around from spectators' phones and camera/lighting control, a few people had range issues even on 2.4ghz, so it might be worth looking into a system with satellite recievers as an option in case that remains an issue.
    Last edited by joey_picus; 9th August 2016 at 13:35. Reason: adding RW interference stuff

higgeh
    Sorry thread hijack.

Looking at something like this myself http://www.banggood.com/FlySky-FS-i6...-p-983537.html

Planning on getting 3 voltage sensors with it (http://www.banggood.com/Flysky-FS-CV...-p-976303.html) and making boards that will do motor speed and temperature.

Anyone got an opinion on this plan?

It should work - I'd double check the entire system failsafes properly as some recievers will hold the last known position on some channels which is obviously quite a bad idea for drive!

Motor speed and temperature are probably going to be mainly useful for current limiting/protecting the motor if it gets stalled - I can't think of too many other reasons to have that data in a robot. If you have a need for it, you probably know enough to know whether it's a good idea!

Hi Adam,

If you suspect it's purely a crystals issue and all other aspects of the tx are still working (screen and LED come on when powered up?), then I'd recommend a FrSky conversion kit for it. It's got three wires that need to be connected to +ve, -ve and a PPM/PWM signal line inside the transmitter, and after that it allows the tx to be used on 2.4GHz with matching FrSky receivers. I've converted two FF6s with these (one on 40MHz and one 35MHz) and they're brilliant; they keep all their usual functionality and it saves you shelling out on an expensive new tx (plus I've lost count of the number of Spektrum TXs I've seen with broken antennae!)

The binding process is dead easy, setting the failsafe process is dead easy, and the connection has always been reliable in the four years I've used them. The Big Nipper guys and Alan from Robots Live (Merlin, Kronic etc) both use them and have had similar hassle-free use as far as I know. Not trying to sound like a FrSky salesman (maybe I should seek sponsorship!) but they really are good pieces of equipment and can revive an old TX for not much cost.

The conversion module: https://www.robotbirds.co.uk/default...le-switch.html

And a link to matching receivers (third and fourth items are the ones I get): https://www.robotbirds.co.uk/default...receivers.html

Also the RC Groups thread I found useful when tackling it for the first time: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=878096

actually to be fair I've tried several crystal pairs and not much seems to work. Lots of servo jitter but calms when the tx is on, but still not working. It was butchered pretty badly too with additional switch and some 8 way toggle panel taking over a channel as well. Nicads as well, so one for the museum I think..
    Frsky looks good, but not wanting to risk it if there is something else wrong, best I would imagine to use on a set that is known to already work before the upgrade.

job done, dx6i from ebay with rx for £60

seems a couple of 18v drill motors and the dewalt motor convertor mounts manages to move 120kg around still

I'm always amazed at how small motors can move large amounts. Had an old ride on plastic kids toy digger that would easily move me around and was driven off two small rs 540(?)motors all day.

Hey Adam, what are you building?

Hey Rob,
    how fantastic to hear from you again !
    The plan was always to build this
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    however times change and I'm currently looking at something more akin to a sump thing inspired head down drum project. I've scaled back the motors and drive , even £20K cant build a rambot that wins , so whats the point of trying to push people around I guess. I actually found a couple of e-tek motors in the shed so weapon plus spare, ebay sells steel drums, stud it with rebar and chinese titanium is dirt cheap. So is ablative chickem wire and car tyre scales for armour

Sadly , my design has only reached the Plasticine stage, could do with some input...

Img_0725.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Probably going to call it the Skinner

Register To Comment