Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rules regarding safety links?

What are the exact rules in regards to safety links?

I see a lot of people are using a looped deans or similar plug between their positives on lipos.. and i'm sure someone has attempted using a car fuse?

Could it be possible to use something more secure? by that i mean a link that's a solid object similar to that of a household plug fuse setup, (without the fuse) that will not just pop off/get easily knocked off during combat yet its easy and simple enough to be pulled out quickly by an official?

I've been playing with a design for a new type of safety link which i believe meets all the criteria i can find in regards to link but gives you to added security of not failing during combat, which I'll like to take from concept to reality on my current build, but i do need some serious clarification if this could be acceptable for use.

Some photos of my concept... now i offer this concept up freely for anyone to use, ( if its not been done before and i've yet to see a version here) if you want the CAD file just leave a note here in which format you want. The size at present is quite large ( simple Cad mock up) but i see no reason why this couldn't be made to small sizes say 50x30x30mm with the right equipment or much larger for bulky hands.

link1.pnglink2.pnglink3.pnglink4.png

Exact rules are simple. Have to be removable without tools and after removal, no parts of the machine should be powered.

Since Team RCC went to EC3 and EC5 safety links , we didn't suffer from self removing links anymore.

In Kan-Opener we fitted a 3D printed tripple EC5 link.

Nick, the Aussie monsterspinnerbuilder (Shiney, Mr mangle, Sissorhands) uses the XT series of connectors, combined with fuses and a 3D printed retaining block.

I've always used Anderson connectors as the link
    Last edited by adamclark; 9th August 2016 at 02:35.

Every safety link failure I had in the past was with Anderson links.

My first fight in the arena, Dutch series 1, Project One Vs Blue was lost due a self removing 300A Anderson link.

So there is no reason why i can't use the link i've designed going by the current comments?

I've always disliked the use of using battery links for failsafes, and that is the method when running model powerboats with 40,000 RPM inrunners attached to flex drives with razor sharp props...

My intention is to have this mount flush with the armor of my current project keeping it tidy as well as secure .

further input welcome!

I like the idea of a flush mounting link. In the olden days however, we were told the link had to be removable with a 'bill hook' (a hook on a pole). If this is not still a requirement - definitely worth some experimentation!

For our last version of the robot (which never got to compete) I used 'Detent Pins'
    http://im01.itaiwantrade.com/8f79e43...12-360x360.JPG

Which pushed into a hole and connected two copper plates (with holes) together. The pins were 16mm diameter Stainless and not being the best conductor, still got quite hot! We were drawing 1200A peak though.

The pin locks in place until you pull the ring on the top which withdraws the two ball bearings and allows it to come out freely. The body sat inside a counterbored hole so only the little ring stuck out. Testing showed the ring would just be torn off without dislodging the pin in most cases. You could still remove the pin easy enough with a pair of pliars.

Si

higgeh
    http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/automo...ctors/8961776/

anything stopping you using something like this

I had though about using a similar pin system as the link, but i though they may be frowned upon seeing how just dropping a screwdriver between the shaft it sits in is easily done for overriding the very purpose, i didn't want to have anything or anyone cause dispute over using such a system..

The use of a catched type plug is another good idea which i will not dismiss out of hand.. so thank you for the suggestion, however there is now talk of being able to remove the link with a hook from a distance, and in all fairness not a bad idea in regards to safety, to which again i think some more information about the exact rules will be needed to clarify this, as a catched system such as the above linked plug would not be suitable....

If a link is required to be pulled via a hook on a pole, then another method for using my designed link would be to replace the finger clasp with a couple of sprung loaded ball bearing each side or that of a tension roller which can literally roll in an out of a predetermined groove on the main casing ( similar to those used on cupboard doors as a most basic example) to which the top could be modified to some type of catch which can accept a hook or a finger to pull the link outwards.

Again i don't want to be re-designing the wheel with something like this, its more an innovation to keep the whole unit contained, easily mounted to a bulkhead or frame under armor or flush with the surface of areas unlikely to get hit and reduce if not stop the link failure/ fall out.

On a side note it would also look vastly better and more professional rather then a hanging cable somewhere inside the guts of the machine, I am experimenting with the idea of encasing an LED light to the link so the LED can power directly once the link is inserted making it clear the robot is indeed ON.

Quote Originally Posted by higgeh View Post
    http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/automo...ctors/8961776/

anything stopping you using something like this
    The 46A rating

Register To Comment