Register To Comment
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Health & Safety - First Time Builder

Quote Originally Posted by Niels - Team K.a.L.M. View Post
    Now I can finally earn some bragging rights, or lose them completely with a smile on my face.
    I like what this guy is saying.

Looking around a bit for motors - both these and these I've come across, but for a 2WD lifter, the torque of the latter seems more important I reckon. What's the easiest way to set about calculating possible speed?

100rpm with for instance 40mm wheels;

4 x 3.14= 12.56cm
    12.56 x 100 (rpm) = 1256cm a minute or 12.5m a minute
    12.5 x 60 = 750m per hour

The arena isn't big but it feels a little counterproductive to need roughly 20 seconds to get from one side to another.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    Looking around a bit for motors - both these and these I've come across, but for a 2WD lifter, the torque of the latter seems more important I reckon. What's the easiest way to set about calculating possible speed?
    The 1000 Rpm motors are the standard drive solution in most beetles, with some moving to brushless drive more recently using the same gearboxes, just swapping the motors and controllers.

Thanks for the info! What are the benefits/drawbacks of having brushless drive as opposed to brushed?

Alright, thanks!

TL000488.jpg

First parts are coming in. First tragedy already occurred - I was denied my drawing. Much sulking was to be had.

Leaving for a holiday in just over 2 weeks, so currently still very much in the process of getting the parts together and seeing how the lay-out is going to be.

One thing I have already decided on is weaponry and overall theme. I like control type of bots a lot as they rely heavily on driving skill, so it's going to be a lifter. I want to get a theme going too, as comedy bots stand out and bring something extra to a fight, namely for the spectator. The plan is then to build it in white and have an ambulance theme, naming the robot "This Is Not A Drill" (which it isn't, because it's a lif- oh well you get it).

First priority for me though is to get a 2WD platform together and work my way from there. Probably will order the motors some time next week, and then it's time for some sweet unadulterated pretendobot action.
    Last edited by Zenith; 15th July 2016 at 13:21.

After a very exciting summer holiday it's time to get back at it. Days before departure to sunny Asia I took delivery of my drive motors; 4 12V 1000rpm DC motors, akin to the Silver Sparks used in the Viper kit.

This led to the first mock-up.

IMG_20160902_182708.jpg

Indeed - it's not as much a mock-up as it is two drive motors on a used cutting board. Contrary to what my better half believes this cutting board's destiny will not lie in dicing and slicing meat (vegetables is a different board, because HEALTH AND SAFETY PEOPLE), it will be used to put driving platforms together. This one cutting board should serve about 3 driving platforms, providing I can keep stuff from falling off and how hungry each platform is. As it is, I'm sadly not Jesus - then I would've been able to do this entire build with a gallon of water and a fish.

Batteries and plastic are on the way - white HDPE. Maybe I'll just make a new cutting board from that and hope that my gf won't notice.

To be continued.
    Last edited by Zenith; 2nd September 2016 at 17:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    After a very exciting summer holiday it's time to get back at it. Days before departure to sunny Asia I took delivery of my drive motors; 4 12V 1000rpm DC motors, akin to the Silver Sparks used in the Viper kit.

This led to the first mock-up.

IMG_20160902_182708.jpg

Indeed - it's not as much a mock-up as it is two drive motors on a used cutting board. Contrary to what my better half believes this cutting board's destiny will not lie in dicing and slicing meat (vegetables is a different board, because HEALTH AND SAFETY PEOPLE), it will be used to put driving platforms together. This one cutting board should serve about 3 driving platforms, providing I can keep stuff from falling off and how hungry each platform is. As it is, I'm sadly not Jesus - then I would've been able to do this entire build with a gallon of water and a fish.

Batteries and plastic are on the way - white HDPE. Maybe I'll just make a new cutting board from that and hope that my gf won't notice.

To be continued.
    Well you made me laugh if nothing else. Good luck.

As it turns out these installments turn out be a monthly ordeal. See it as a testament to my Carribean roots.

IMG_20160929_204520.jpg

I received the final order from Technobots recently, which contained some more hubs and wheels. I went with the Fingertech variety, simply because I'm already familiar with them and it's always useful to have spares that can be made from my gf's beach footwear. I just hope she won't notice her Minions flipflops have gone missing at some point (I think I'll just blame the neighbour's cat, out of spite for it taking a crap in our garden the other day).

Once again though, I was disappointed in the sheer lack of drawing in my order. I'd requested a drawing (or photo - I like to lower the bar now and then) of the best UK fighting robot along with my order, but sadly there wasn't even a print out of M2 in there. Much sulking was to be had.

IMG_20160928_175221.jpg

With all parts finally in possession though, I could finally start to get stuff lined up properly. First, I got my new transmitter sorted out by using the Viper to bind the receiver. I'm leaving the Viper in one piece throughout this process, mainly because I want to really build my first bot from scratch and I feel that using the Viper for that is like using cheat codes. And cheat codes are things snotty teenagers use in Call of Duty whilst shouting all kinds of sexual expletives about either you, your mom or both.

TL000647.jpg

Anyway, I digress. Along with the hubs and wheels I'd also got me some excessively bulky mounts for the motors, but soon enough these proved rather useless on something that requires armour. Yeah, good job on making a good bench testing setup there. Extra XP for me. If you have some tips for a simple and slightly less corpulently challenged motor mount solution, please do comment.

Did I actually get it going though? Ofcourse not, that's something for next month. Gotta get myself a soldering iron, along with some other tools. And buying tools is fun - it's like the men's equivalent of buying shoes.

Maybe I should ask my gf to come along and carry my bags.
    Last edited by Zenith; 14th October 2016 at 16:10.

Register To Comment