Register To Comment

Thread: Radio gear and licences

Hi there, I been reading through the FRA build rules and I found some elements relating to the radio gear that has me puzzled and my dyslexia doesn't help but my question is if I use the 2.4GHz DSS radio frequency, which the build rules recommends, how does that insure each robot's receiver will connect to the right transmitter?

My other question is in regards to 4.1.2 in the build rules, it says I have to get a licence from OFCOM to use my radio gear, is this for all types of radio frequencies that the FRA allows? is it for all weight classes?

What is the exact name of the licence? so I can look it up.

sorry if I'm asking silly questions but I want to make sure I understand everything within the rules before I even dare start work on my first feather weight robot.

I take this 'binding' process is done by having each transmitter and receiver turned on one robot at a time.

so in theory the radio gear my ant weights use could be use as long as they are a 'DSS' transmitter.

yeah thanks, thats made things clear.

Different manufacturers use different spread spectrum protocols so it's not quite that universal, but generally, yep, you have the right idea

(you usually need to put in a plug or press a button on both reciever and transmitter to do the binding process - it's pretty foolproof though!)

Oh ok I'll keep that in mind, thanks Joey

Yeah I have noticed the plug in function while looking for a new transmitter and receiver.

thankfully I have already found ones that have had positive feedback in the forum, even a receiver that has a built-in failsafe.

Register To Comment