Register To Comment
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ion (Beetle Weight Drum Spinner)

Goodluck with it I'm going burgess hill and any other ones I can make it to really

Hey all,

Had lots of fun at Burgess Hill even though Ion didn’t work quite as well as I would have liked, first fight the drum worked pretty well but the belt heated up and loosened, disabling the weapon for the rest of the competition since I didn't have any spares.

Here’s a link to the first fight where the drum worked, I was pretty satisfied, even though we lost haha. Won the next fight even though my tag-team partner and I both had dead drums then lost to Gonzales/Wodge again in the third fight.

Didn’t bother with the brushless stuff in the end as the pinions came off the motor shafts when I tested it, so just resorted to the safe brushed option which always works well.

Will probably go to Reading in a few weeks so I’ll start thinking about upgrades and such.

Cheers, Andy

So, did a bit of work for Reading on the beetle..

Brutally attacked the lovely milled aluminium with a hacksaw and cut it into two pieces, drilled and tapped it to bolt it together..mainly because it was so unpractical with changing belts etc. Three bolts are endtapped at the back and two go into some M4 threaded bar at the front behind the drum. I also changed to HTD belts so hopefully they won't stretch like the old ones did.

Heres a picture of the robot in its fairly bodgey state!

ion 010716.jpg

Cheers, Andy

Great event at Reading, cheers to Dave and Robots Live for making it happen!

Pleased with how the robot performed overall, got to the semi final and lost to Incomplete Control, then lost to Ash 2, resulting in fourth place.

Got my first three fights on video, thanks to people filming for me

First round fight, fairly uneventful

This one was definitely my favourite, but resulted in a bit of damage. The impact from the last hit killed the brushless motor for the weapon, also got a few nasty chunks out of the aluminium

Was definitely losing this one until Limpets link came out

Probably won't do much to the robot for whatever event I go to next, just minor fixes and its ready to go again.

Cheers, Andy

Very cool. I never saw Limpet's link fly out, was it on impact or somewhere in the middle of him pushing you against the wall? Did it just get shaken loose?

i actually have no idea, could be any of those haha

Been working on Ion a bit for Cannock and the champs later in the year

optional wedge for fighting wedges and things..

image.jpg

Also new foamy wheels as the banebots lacked grip and were probably the reason I had to replace 2 motors in the robot after the impacts against First Left because they don't absorb as much shock.

Also ordered a new motor for the weapon to spin the drum a lot faster than before, also got some more power behind it. Going to use the new motor with a 40a Blue Series ESC reprogrammed to use BLheli for better response times and better spin up. This upgrade is probably not that needed but should be fun and interesting

image.jpg

Big motor is big

cheers!

Hi Andy.
    Ion looks really cool, is the new motor a lot heavier than the old one? If so, do you think you will you have to find some weight to lose elsewhere in the bot? I guess that depends if it is close to the weight limit already. Just curious about the process really.

It was very close as it was but the wheels are lighter now and ive done away with the side armour since it won't fit around the wider wheels and I've never needed it until now so just hoping for the best really lol

Register To Comment