Register To Comment
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Speed controllers to use with mobility scooter motors?

Cheers for the advice Tim, but my dad and I have actually made a rather large order recently. We've finally got confirmation that our supplier is getting stock of Vypers on June the 4th, so we should get those soon. We've also gone for a couple of 1000w 36v MY1020 motors for drive, and a pair of Zippy Flightmax 8000mAh 18.5v LiPos to power them. Eventually we'll need a weapon motor, so that'll take some further research... In terms of the weapon motor, is it a stupid idea to not use an ESC? Just have a relay or some kind of switch to turn the motor on and off?

I would start a build diary so I can properly introduce myself and the robot, not sure, but I don't really want to give too much away...
    Last edited by SnowLabs; 23rd May 2016 at 14:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Albear View Post
    Hey Tom! Would like to pm you but my work internet wont let me I work a seasonal job but when im back for 3 months over christmas i live with my perents in the Biggleswade area, so if you need an extra member id love to join in! Ta!
    Hi Alexander, sorry I didn't respond sooner! What experience and skills do you have? Feel free to send me a PM!
    Last edited by SnowLabs; 23rd May 2016 at 14:20.

Ellis components were the standard go to company for years for the bosch 750.

With regards to your question on weapon motor control, it depends entirely on what it is you want to do. Is this a spinner? An axe? What motor do you plan to use?

It'll need to power a single spinning weapon. I haven't made a concrete decision on the weapon motor yet, but I've been looking at AmpFlow motors but they're USA based. Are there any you could suggest from the UK?

Second hand ampflow or etek if you can find them.

Most of the high power motors are US based. Sods law and all that but that's just the way it is.

As to the control of an ampflow, using a big switch isn't an issue as long as you gear it suitably. I've used 200A power solenoids in the past with an RC relay to turn on and off the solenoid to great effect.

Is a big switch a good idea though? I'd imagine that events would require you to have as much control over the speed of the weapon as possible?

Well the only event you will be running a heavyweight spinner at will be robot wars. No other arenas in the UK can run heavyweight spinners. Your machine will run through a tech check to establish that it failsafes and your machine switches off if it loses radio signal.

As I said, it's a perfectly legitimate and reliable way to control a spinner.

Yeah, I'm aiming for Robot Wars so that shouldn't be a problem. I've also heard that some live events are looking at allowing heavy spinners, so that would be great too.

Believe it or not Ampflow have an Amazon shop; on Amazon.com and the shipping is surprisingly cheap as it's an Amazon based warehouse! Ours arrived for our weapon within 5 days!

Oh yeah cheers, AmpFlow coming from US Amazon isn't a bad idea. I'm liking the look of the A28-400. It's rated for 24v, whilst in sure 36v is safe do you think it's safe to run at 48v? It would be for the weapon motor, a spinner.

Register To Comment