Register To Comment
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Speed controllers to use with mobility scooter motors?

Schockmounting. Mounting things so high G impacts get dampened.

Like a rubber cover for your smartphone.
    Without, the screen shatters when dropped, with it doesn't.

Yep, shockmounting is when you mount a component in a way that best absorbs shocks and impacts - something to sit between the component and the chassis, something like using rubber washers would help.

The Vypers certainly weren't cheap! - I might actually have one spare that I'm no longer using, would you be interested? PM me if so.

Haven't read much of this thread but if you are still looking at controlling scooter motors then I'd take a look at the ragebridge 2. Used one recently, cracking speedos.

Sorry to hijack the thread somewhat, but is shock mounting really that essential? I don't recall seeing very many heavies with their motors shock mounted, other than those using all-in-one solutions like T64s.

Depends, are your pockets deep enough to replace parts on a regular basis? Even if you aren't planning on fighting spinners it's a very good idea to shock mount battery packs with foam and speed controllers with rubber or allow their mountings to flex in some way. It will mean they last a hell of a lot longer. A modern flipper will still throw your bot 5ft into the air!

Rubber washers it is then.
    The Ragebridge2 esc, are you talking about using it as a two or one channel!? Price is defiantly worth it as a two! But I thought 40amps or so was nowhere near enough, read on other threads to aim for 100plus continuous for drive motors to cope with locks up and such!!
    As for your spare Vyper Mr Snowlab. I won't be starting to build until after the new year, I also need to learn how to weld before I start any major purchases. So don't hold it just for me, IF you still have it if/when I need it i'l ask. Thank you.

Battery packs and electronics are easy enough, I was more concerned about motors, which I believe is what Maddox was talking about.

Regarding the Ragebridge 2, it deals with spikes of current by limiting the amount of power going to your motors, therefore limiting the current that can be produced. Whereas other ESCs need higher maximum discharge rates to deal with the current spikes, the Ragebridge will ensure that the current never goes that high in the first place. I've read that the only real downside to this is it can slow down acceleration in some circumstances, but there were a lot of machines in Battlebots season 2 using them, so they're definitely suitable.

Motors fall into the same category really. Shocks can dislodge or shatter magnets.

As for the ragebridge, I have ran one on two T64s at 6s on dual channel mode. Initially it had a 24v fan cooling it. The fan didn't last long. The ragebridge however lasted just grand. As long as you aren't doing anything too stupid with it, they are great controllers at the size and price point.

I was meaning every bit that is vurnable. Motors and electronics are the most affected. b
    But I had Burkerts break up due shock damage (the stainless steel solenoid tube).

Haven't posted here for a little while but just though I'd post a little upodate. The robot I was building from the start of this thread was Tauron (to be honest, since December, I've been pretty preoccupied building... something better )

So I somehow made it onto the show! Wouldnt have made it on without some of the advice in this thread, and from reading many others around this site. It's an awesome community, and I'm glad to be a part of it!

FYI we ended up using 2 x MY1020 running at 33v, (rated for 36v), 1000w motors, geared 8:1 each powered by a Vyper ESC.
    Last edited by SnowLabs; 8th March 2017 at 19:46.

Register To Comment