Register To Comment
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Speed controllers to use with mobility scooter motors?

The other advantage of NPCT64s is that you can bolt big wheels directly to them; my bot uses them with 500mm wheels (still small compared to Gabriel; there's no such thing as wheels that are too large :P)

The gearboxes are a little fragile for full combat as shown by some of the US bots, but as long as the wheels don't take a direct hit it should be fine.

I'm looking at moving to 1000W scooter motors with 2 stage chain reduction, mainly for the sake of availability and robustness (T64s probably shouldn't have 500mm wheels bolted to them :L). The usual ball park figure is to aim for 12-13mph, so I'm looking at using a ~12:1 gear ratio.

The Chinese My1020 motors come in a few flavors, and ain't that bad in construction.
    But I would recommend chains for reduction gearing.
    The shaft ain't the the thickest I've seen for that amount of power. Now, some come with a small sprocket, and for a low gearratio first stage it should do.

The Italian Movimotors are also interesting, as Brutus demonstrated, but need more work to be ready for RW.

Iskra , a Slovakian brand, is very good in construction albeit a tad heavy. Those have so many variants it's even difficult to find the one you need/want.

The 800w 24v iskras are only around 2.5kg if my memory serves me correctly. Completely sealed as well so chance of crap fouling the insides or getting stuck to the magnets.

Ok, so I've have the Vypers on order for quite a while now... and they're still awaiting stock. It seems like there's a problem with the manufacturer. Does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative ESC? Something in the realm of 36v 120a.

Wotties spring to mind.
    Mytras is also an option, if you can contact the maker of those.

Roboteq is a direct commercial option.

I would assume that the reason they have taken a while is that they had a rush of orders through for battlebots / robogames. Now that things have calmed down on that front build wise they will be able to catch up with the backlog.

Robotpower had to increase the price by $49 USD at the start of the year; if the RMP honours the old $199 price (bet they won't!) you would be getting a real bargain.

Good ol vantec

Register To Comment