Register To Comment
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sawbot 3000 first build

Quote Originally Posted by maddox10 View Post
    The chances a normal drivetrain FBS runs over 500 rpm are slim. Also, it's difficult to forbid robots to spin on the spot.
    Interesting. After doing a few calculations, I've worked out that a robot which can do 10mph in a straight line would need a track width of 17cm to spin at 500rpm. It actually seems rather feasible for a FW, and more powerful motors could give it even more potential!

That will be a very nervous machine to drive straight.

But my point stands, try to forbid a robot to spin on the spot.

The problem with that idea is when the bot is spinning in place, its not advancing into an opponent and doing any damage. Do some research in to 'Meltybrain' robots, which combine spinning the shell with driving. On the few occasions builders have gotten them right, they have been very effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny B View Post
    Interesting. After doing a few calculations, I've worked out that a robot which can do 10mph in a straight line would need a track width of 17cm to spin at 500rpm. It actually seems rather feasible for a FW, and more powerful motors could give it even more potential!
    Since you cant advance on your opponent, and you are entirely relying on them, you will get very limited bite, and at 500rpm you wont be able to do much damage, even when spinning 13.6kg of steel.

If you fitted say 4 drill motors in a short but wide 4WD config I am sure you could get a straight driving robot that did 500rpm on the spin. Build a test bed. See what happens IMO.

You need a 51mm axle height in that case - the measurement will always be half the body height regardless of how big the wheels are!

Register To Comment