Register To Comment
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sawbot 3000 first build

Yes, the ban does include any commercialy available blade that can shatter under impact. Even the shatterable parts are only the teeth.

I myself favor the "monoblock" idea.
    A disk/drum/eggbeater fabricated from 1 piece of metal that resists shattering whatsoever.
    Hardox or Cruesabro comes to mind.

The rule, or rules in this case, are specifically -

12.3 Rotating Weapons
    The speed of any rotating weapons - e.g. circular saws, carbon or steel cutting discs - must not exceed the
    manufacturer's specification. The manufacturer's specification must be available for inspection.

12.4 Hardened Blades
    Commercially manufactured, hardened steel blades that may shatter are not allowed.

So far as I know there would only be 2 types of commercial blade permitted -

Friction Saw Blades - http://sheffsaws.com/circular-saws/friction-saw/ - The same type that Dead metal used. All 1 piece with a hardened edge. Expensive!

Diamond Abrasive - http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-se...0-x-20mm/32833 - These are 1 piece of metal with an abrasive powder glued to the surface. Rather than shattering the abrasive section would turn almost to dust.

However, since I am pretty sure you would bust a commercial blade every fight I would recommend getting a disc custom cut from Hardox or another type of wear steel. This would only only be more effective but cheaper. I can work with you to design one to fit your needs and there are many other people out there with access to CAD as well.

Ah, yes. I will clarify. Spinners are not permitted at all events. Only those with Class 1 Arena's.

Since the only Class 1 arena's in the UK are the new Robot Wars arena in Glasgow (which we can't use) and the Robochallenge FW arena, which is only used twice a year at most, your robot would be limited to just 2 events a year: The World Champs at Gadget Show Live (which just happened) and possibly an event at Fleet Air Museum (which doesn't always happen).

The rules above 12.3 & 12.4, would still apply at the Class 1 arena events.

If you don't know what I am talking about, read the Rules and Safety Documents - http://www.fightingrobots.co.uk/cont...s-and-safety_1 - You may never run an event or need to know about stopping EM interference but its good stuff to know regardless.

nah, they have the same rules as horizontals

It doesn't matter what angle the weapon is at... 45drgs, 90drgs, 3.1415926drgs...

stancestance.jpg

if its over 500RPM it counts as a spinner, and even then the EO has final say so I wouldn't even bother taking one to a live event.

Stumbling upon this thread, and it sparked my curiosity.
    What are the rules in regards to making a robot that looks like a full-body spinner (blades of some description fixed to the outer shell), but it simply rotated on the spot using it's drivetrain (like TV Series 2 Spin Doctor)?

The chances a normal drivetrain FBS runs over 500 rpm are slim. Also, it's difficult to forbid robots to spin on the spot.

Register To Comment