Register To Comment
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: inrunners or outrunners

Quote Originally Posted by craig_colliass View Post
    the Lambert gearboxes on Gabriel that have the big Ampflow motors driving them, with the big and I mean BIG wheels 900mm diameter have first stage MOD1 and second stage MOD 1.5
    I know people who have stripped MOD 1.5 on a Bosch 750 before... I just assumed MOD 2 was the standard for heavies. Impressed that the MOD 1 gears are working that well!

With brushless, it's worth bearing in mind that it's better to over spec the motor and run it below it's max power, as they have a lot less thermal mass to spread the heat due to being tiny and powerful. Most of these motors are designed to have a constant stream of air, EDF motors especially. Without it it is likely to get red hot if run at it's specified power rating. I'm looking at a minimum of 3kw motors for drive, and then limit them to ~1.5kw on the VESC, but if suitable cooling can be sorted then you may be able to use less. It's yet another one of those things that needs experimentation and combat testing to work out what size is right. (alternatively I could sit down and do some maths to work it out... but who does that? :L)

Register To Comment