Register To Comment
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Double Trouble

Hey and welcome! There will be plenty of info on here for you to look through- in the mean time, admire that top cover which an unnamed strapping young man made

Just a different name to consider: Suited aces

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
    I believe a pair of 18v 775 motors, attached to "P60" Banebots gearboxes were actually used, which as we saw gave it loads of power.
    Correct. 18V 775 motors with 16:1 "P60" gearboxes on 5 inch colson wheels. It was powered from 6S Lipo batteries. I would alternatively recommend a Saturn or 4 inch wheels.

My Thumper robot was the donating machine.

If we're talking about losing weight on the machine, those disc bearings were rather excessively heavy.

James is clearly a natural!
    Fantastic driving considering the lack of prior experience. It would be nice to see him about the live circuit.

Double Trouble was great! Well driven and always great to see a saw blade on the front of a robot, don't often get ones like that these days!

As a standard setup, Saturn-16s with 775 motors, TZ85 speed controllers and a 5 Cell Lipo battery would cover any sort of power requirements - robots like Legion use this setup and are quick! I'd advise against running 6 Cells still because the motors are 18v, 6 Cell lipos are 22.2v and the motors don't seem to like that for too long. A set of those and 4" wheels would be an excellent drive train. The motors and speed controllers are both available from Ranglebox.com (Ellis should have me on commission at this point...) and the batteries should be available from hobbyking.com. I would recommend reading up on lipos before investing though, since they can be dangerous if not used correctly.

Wheels are a tad trickier and may be a custom job, though there's people on this forum that make things like that for reasonable prices

Of course help is always to hand too if ever you need it on this forum - despite the fact that we actually fight each other every weekend or so, we are actually a kind and helpful bunch haha

Best of luck with the build!

My Saturn-16 gearboxes and 775 motors will indeed do the job (although they may run fairly hot with the weight of the machine). I'm currently out of S-16 stock, with new stock on the way. It'll be a little while I'm afraid - the champs event and a few other things have disturbed normal scheduling. They'll be available again soon!

Register To Comment