Register To Comment
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: [FW] Wedge Spinner in time for Robo Challenge champs!

Myself and team mate Dave have been slowly tinkering away at a crusher bot for the champs.... but we've realized the champs are VERY CLOSE now and our hydraulics isn't going to be sorted in time. So, we're going to work our asses off to make a more simple design - a wedge/small spinner.

Dave has been working on a custom ESC for the last month or so, and will continue to do so for the coming weeks. We wanted to do this as a challenge, and considering the work we've done on it so far, we don't wanna quit! If this turns out to be an epic failure, we will fall back on more tried and tested ESC's. Will post more about this later.

I've been doing a bit of CAD work, with hopes to get the whole bot designed by the weekend and have parts being ordered early next week.

First I started off with a simple box with a pair of Ellis' mighty fine gear motors and some castor wheels:
    f6458b9f9f08ee52cc333dbad1f44c88.png

Then I designed & balanced a single tooth disc:
    1516c2158743d49c8fc60fd90532bad6.png

Then I made some mountings for it, which will hold the weapon motor, belt drive and dead shaft axle:
    6993b28672cfbdfaa5e64a310c7abbe7.png

At this point I realised it was rather long and making bad use of space, so I took it into photoshop and sliced it up into a more appealing layout. Will implement these changes in my cad file soon:
    383da1c99c5b3877c2d44a8ae631819c.png

As you can see, we don't have much, but hopefully that will change in the coming weeks! This is technically my second ever build (disregarding the half-started crusher), so I will no doubt need to ask some annoying questions to you all along the way!

Any reason why you are running another reduction off the Saturns? I don't know your wheel size or voltage but I can see that being very slow given direct drive off the Saturns is fine as it is.
    Aside from that, doesn't look bad :-)

It would be easier to just drive the rear wheels directly from the Saturns, and then have a single belt drive either side from the rear wheels to the front wheels; the saturns are built for combat, and unless you're using solid metal wheel hubs or something, the wheels will likely give way before the gearbox if they get clipped by a spinner. Plus at the rear of the robot, they're usually fairly well protected by the front of the robot :L

Quote Originally Posted by Giles View Post
    I just realized you have been replying to my facebook posts! Thanks for all the input so far mate.
    No Problem

So far as I know there is no off the shelf solution for the Saturns right now, which is a problem for you but I know Ellis is on it. Aside from making your own wheels from HDPE, Bike Tyre and then either filing a keyway in the plastic or going with grub screws I cant think of any fast and dirty solutions... then again I don't really do fast and dirty.

I use a Hex 17 on the shafts and fit a large scale RC wheel on them.

Register To Comment