Register To Comment

Thread: Why did the socials die a death?

Why did the socials die a death?
    I remember just before the the Robot Wars tv series finished- the Yorkshire social was fairly popular and at one had 20+ members round the table,but I see by the latest posts on regional socials that nobody is holding a regular social.

I found some to be less than local sometimes -traveling 40 miles to a pub where you can only risk a shandy if your'e driving was not ideal.

Your'e probably not looking for a lecture on safety or wishing to be overwhelmed by the latest technical aspects of a speed controller or motor.

Personally I thought the socials were a great way to introduce newbies to the cause but not overly exciting.

Of course you cant have robots in combat but maybe you could have a demo of a area of function like lap top speed controller set up to motors or weapon possibilities.

Maybe the social needs to be more local ie city socials and maybe they need to be more exciting or maybe the're just out of fashion?

Are there enough FRA members spread around to have socials that are more local than county-wide?

Actualy, the DRG has a few socials a year. But to drive over from the UK to The Netherlands or Belgium for a few drinks, that takes a certain taste of nutcase(and yes, Babs and me did that for a Yorksire social).

Yes I remember you and Babs doing it-still I guess you were over for some sight seeing too

Not really, just drive over to the pub, have a few ciders, a good talk, and a night at Jeremies place, and drive back.

Considdering events are every 2 weeks, can be all around the country and often include an overnight stay...

I think we sometimes see enough of each other :P

Register To Comment