Register To Comment
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [Question] Ideas on where to build my robot.

Hi, I'm new to the FRA forums, and this is my first post, so pleased to meet you all. I've been passionate about fighting robots since I was small, but the resurgence of Robot Wars prompted me to search out this site. A friend and I are looking into building a heavyweight to enter a future Robot Wars series (and hopefully other events) but following advice from this forum, we've decided to both have a go at building a featherweight each first, and then pit them against each other. Problem is, I'm a university student living in a flat in Sheffield, and even at home, we don't have any kind of proper tool-shed or garage.

So does anyone have any ideas where I can build my bot? Obviously I can do electronics or minor mechanical work in my flat, but when it comes to any drilling, grinding or cutting of metal, I'd need some kind of workshop. I'm aware of the hackerspaces that are dotted around, but they seem more focused towards electronic and programming work than any kind of resistant materials, and I don't think it's a viable solution for the amount of time I'd need to spend on the robot.
    Does anyone have any experience with this kind of problem? I can get hold of power tools myself, I just need somewhere to work.

That's the problem - I share the house with several other students, and I don't think they'd appreciate the noise. Not to mention I have no proper workbench, just a desk I use for my PC. Thanks for replying though, let me know how yours turns out!

Hi R9000, welcome to the forum!

I'm also a student and I agree finding a place to work on robot things can be a problem. Be thankful you aren't in halls of residence though - I definitely can't get away with drills and jigsawing here! Progress on my featherweight has been quite slow and restricted to holidays and the odd weekend. If you ask your flatmates and they are really annoyed by noise that much, or if there is some weird rule about power tools, then perhaps consider just doing that too?

I also don't have a garage or workshop at home, but one of our few D.I.Y tools which wasn't broken or totally rusted was this workmate thing which I strongly recommend thinking about:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Decker...ecker+workmate
    I usually just set this thing up on my garden patio, or in the kitchen when it's raining. Then when I'm done it just folds away. Honestly not sure how I would have managed without it! Others may have a different way of doing things, but it's been super useful for me.

Not sure how much research you've done or how experienced you are with electronics and D.I.Y, but I'd recommend taking some time to read build threads and make a list of everything you'll need including power tools and the cost of stuff etc. Check out my build thread if you want a place to start: http://www.fightingrobots.co.uk/thre...t-robot-please

If you are totally new to this like me, I'd consider building something super simple first like in the video I posted in my build thread. There are some differences between UK and Australian building rules but I think that's mentioned in the thread too. I started designing and building a featherweight from the ground up right away, and although my design is basic, I would rather that I had done something easier first, just to get some sort of robot up and running.

I hope this helped out and good luck.
    Last edited by dotDominic; 28th February 2016 at 08:47.

Student roboteer here aswell. I build Nanoweights, FleaWeights, Antweights and Beetleweights at uni since they can be worked much more easily with hand tools. I build heavies and feathers back at my family home which actually has the toolset I can build with.

Feathers can easily be built in a uni situation if you go down the HDPE route. A drill and good saw will go a long way (Though I'd use a jigsaw or panel saw and just keep the noise to sociable hours).

Thanks for all the advice, guys, I really appreciate it.
    @dotDominic That workmate thing looks excellent, I think I'll probably end up getting one of those. It'd certainly save me getting a workbench and a vice, at least for now.
    I've taken a look at some of the build threads and I've seen that Australian Robot Wars video series. I'm fairly experienced with electronics and DIY (I study Mechatronic Engineering), but the basis of my design at the moment should be fairly easy to create anyway, and then I should be able to attach my lifter mechanism once the main chassis is up and running.

HDPE sounds like the way to go for featherweight armour, at least as a starting point. I assume it's good against impacts, but what's it like against cutters and rotating drums?

HDPE fairs reasonably well against about everything, if thick enough and well mounted.

Of course, going head on with gruesome machines like Decimator or NST ain't the way to longlivety.

All right, good to hear. I just ordered a DX6i transmitter and receiver today, so I guess I'll try constructing the thing in my room for now, using the workmate, keeping the noise to a minimum. I might make a Build Diaries thread once I get something material to show. Thanks for all your help, everyone.

Register To Comment