Register To Comment
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: [Question] Ideas on where to build my robot.

Quote Originally Posted by daveimi View Post
    The tracks are metal segments with rubber studs bolted to the segments.
    Well actually, the tracks I got happen to be fully metal, with ridges on the plates. I did think about traction, and I'll apply some foam or silicone pads if needed. The biggest challenge is more likely going to be getting them to run over the top and bottom of the body with the relatively small sprockets (about 45mm diameter). Anyway, still gathering parts, so I'll get back to you guys on the situation.

On tracks, look at the warmachines that use those. In other words, Tanks. That could give you some idea's to run them under and over. I think the best inspiration can be found with the early generation.

Quote Originally Posted by daveimi View Post
    I got the wrong end of the stick, I was talking about the tracks on Biteforce lol didn't realise you were talking about which tracks the R9000 was going to use.
    Ah right, indeed it appears that Biteforce had custom-made tracks with threaded metal plates attached to what are basically bicycle chains, with small rubber feet screwed on. But yeah, I'll probably have to employ a similar tactic if they're slipping about too much.
    11703190_1463684960619609_5574470623640795768_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by maddox10 View Post
    On tracks, look at the warmachines that use those. In other words, Tanks. That could give you some idea's to run them under and over. I think the best inspiration can be found with the early generation.
    Yes, I was thinking of something like the British WWI tank's design. Either that or a kind of 'squashed hexagon' shape of you catch my drift, with the sprockets vertically in the middle at both ends, but idler wheels in the middle to make the tracks contact the ground.

Keep the drivesprockets in the middle of top and bottom.
    Even the tracks get destroyed, you should some drive left.

Quote Originally Posted by maddox10 View Post
    Keep the drivesprockets in the middle of top and bottom.
    Even the tracks get destroyed, you should some drive left.
    How do you mean 'in the middle of top and bottom'? If you mean literally vertically in the middle, they likely won't reach the ground as the body is too tall.

Use a top and bottom drive sprocket then.

Hard did a simular thing using drives with a top and bottom wheel.

http://robotwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hard

Started a build thread here.

Register To Comment