Register To Comment
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: FRA/ Robo Challenge International Featherweight Championships - 1st - 3rd April

Just got my time off approved. The Friday the week before, right through until the Tuesday afterwards. So hopefully should have enough time to give the bots a bit more TLC than expected. Time for funsies

Just realised the significance of the date the competition starts. What's the betting we all turn up on the 1st and James and Grant go 'April Fools! The champs were actually last week but since no-one turned up, Predator won. Lolzors".

Also just booked an extra night in the hotel so we'll be coming down for the testing day this year, nice day off to get set up and chill before the mayhem starts

Quote Originally Posted by RogueTwoRobots View Post
    Just realised the significance of the date the competition starts. What's the betting we all turn up on the 1st and James and Grant go 'April Fools! The champs were actually last week but since no-one turned up, Predator won. Lolzors".
    At least we would find out if James and Grant can out-run 50 dangerous bots all activated at once!

I have a feeling we will be too worn out to run anywhere!
    Sign ups should be open shortly once James finds a few spare minutes to upload them.

I've never entered a robot competition before - just building a feather at the moment - and I'm wondering whether the "International championships" would be a good 1st event to enter or not!

Also getting time off / someone to look after pets (it's complicated!) for 3 days could be an issue. Basically what I'm wondering is - what's the format of the competition? i.e. do the heats take place on Friday, and if you get knocked out you might as well not come back on Sat/Sun? Or is there more to it than that?

Are there any whiteboard matches? Is is possible to just do the testing day?

What does it cost to enter? Do we need tickets to the Gadget show or something?

Insert usual apologies here for being a n00b

It's a great way to earn your first stripes. It is however Full Contact so your machine might get beat up a little.
    Loads of experienced builders will attend who will be happy to help out if needed.

Costs are normally 25 pounds, which will get you access to the GSL event as well.
    Friday and part of Saturday will be taken up by the qualifier heats after which the machines with the most points advance to the final rounds. There will be whiteboard fights during the final rounds so that the machines that didn't make it can still go and play.

I honestly dont think theres a right answer for wether to enter the champs as your first event.

I know alot of people who did, and ended up with a totally wrecked bot. However their learning curve was so much quicker, and by next year they had a really solid entry. Compare that to those who just do whiteboards, and because they never really test the robots they can take alot longer to make a solid entry - though they get a years of roboting out of it.

At some point, you will probably enter the champs. Even with a whiteboard bot itll have weaknesses and may get damaged. It really depends on the money you have, and the kind of person you are.

You may be able to just do the testing day, though best to ask the coopers as youd need special access.

My first event was the 2014 FW champs, got absolutely trashed in some fights but I learned a lot from the experience - I would say go for it if you're alright with the prospect of your machine being totally written off (it is a competition event after all)

There will almost definitely be whiteboard fights too, there's always a few per qualifying session (usually 4 of those in a day) so if you're allowed to go for just those you'll be able to have a more relaxed atmosphere and won't have to worry about being forced to fight any of the 'big' spinners. I'd recommend just taking the plunge though, like I said you can learn an awful lot and as long as you build reasonably smart you should be OK I think

Register To Comment