Register To Comment
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: FRA/ Robo Challenge International Featherweight Championships - 1st - 3rd April

Would it help to think of the camera as 120G of public service? Its just dead weight the bot has to haul around and doesn't give me any advantage like extra gas or a bigger motor would.

You can't have been watching my build thread - I added a cunning anti-tyre device so this year I just have to avoid the pit like everyone else.

I've just caught up on your build thread, a cunning plan indeed! Just as long as the tyre doesn't get caught under the string now :P

Quote Originally Posted by overkill View Post
    Would it help to think of the camera as 120G of public service? Its just dead weight the bot has to haul around and doesn't give me any advantage like extra gas or a bigger motor would.
    My issue is more to do with the fact that people get turned back for being a single gram overweight even if it's just a single bolt making the difference. If you can make a case that the camera should be exempt because it gives no advantage I can make the same case about the paint on a robot for example. If we say, allowed for the 2% other weight classes get then fine, but if it's only one robot being given special treatment then I can't say I'd be happy with it. Either everyone gets extra weight or nobody does.

My personal view is that the weight limit is the limit. If you want a camera then that is great but it needs to be within the weight limit.

Given the HW's are meant to be 100kg and thanks to the 2% tolerance are all built to 102kg, surely a 120g camera which is less than 1% of a FW isn't a major issue.
    While I do agree that 'the weight limit is the weight limit', I also really want to see more of what happens in the area close up and to get a bots eye giew which is something rarely seen.
    If it was a 1v1 against me I would let him use it. It would be down to James and Grant, and then down to the roboteers in each fight to say officially but given how great the on board footage has been from other robots I think we need to get more robots fitted with cameras.

All bots should have stereo cameras and the drivers fitted with VR goggles - there's a reason that FPV drone racing is getting so popular!

Yeah, the DRL stuff is amazing. Its a shame they are 'Reality'ing it and making it all about the drivers grudges and not the sport itself.

So true! Formularistic reality TV needs to die. Given how cheap and small GoPro type cameras have gotten, its surprising the Battlebots didn't use a few - it would have been easy to bolt one on to Nightmare and some of the other bots

Quote Originally Posted by RogueTwoRobots View Post
    Tether it to your removable link, they're not counted in the weight. Or if your removable link weighs 120g, then you're sorted
    Now I'm wondering about making a removable link in the form of a 4mm Hardox top plate which completes the circuit when it is put in place. As long as it was held down by some sort of clasp or something so no tools were needed it sounds perfectly within the rules.

Or you could make a snap-in battery like a drill pack - that would save me 650 grams in one hit.

Register To Comment