Register To Comment

Thread: Which way is best?

Seen as this appears to be buried under other posts I will reply to get it back on top, hopefully someone will see it

Most people buy the internals first as you can then lay them out and work out how best to fit it all together. Then it's easier to design a chassis around them.

mickburkesnr
    From advice I've been given on the forums and other sources around the internet, it seems that to start it's better to buy the components you need to get something moving, lay them out and then work out the design. This doesn't seem to exclude having an initial idea about what you want to build though. In my case I wanted to start with a wedge/pyramid shape robot but in the heavyweight class. Now I'm going to do featherweight on the advice of the experts here who've done it a lot longer than both me or you have.

My point of view, even before I thought about weight classes and what components to buy, is that I want to keep to the KISS principle (Keep It Simple, Stupid). It works in my line of work as a developer, and can apply to anything. I don't think anyone here or in the tournaments will look down on any new comer like you or myself if we brought something simple to the event for our first time. At least then with a simple robot it would be more reliable, and we'd have more fun battling others.

The best results seem to come from starting from the inside then working outwards!
    1. Decide what kind of drive system you want, design and build it (ie motors & gearboxes).
    2. Decide what kind of weapon you want, design and build it.
    3. Position the weapon relative to the drive system, build a chassis/body to support and enclose both (not forgetting batteries, gas bottle, motor controller etc. etc.)
    Good examples are:
    Bigger brother, Terrorhurtz, Thor, Little Spinner (feather), Tough as Nails, Warhead.
    Mike.
    PS Mike is me, not a robot!

Register To Comment