Register To Comment

Thread: Featherweight wire gauge?

I use 14 gauge wire for higher powered motors and haven't had any issues after years of operation. The trick is that you are seldom pulling high current for long periods, so the average long-term current is relatively low and the wire stays cool. I recommend high flexibility wire with silicon insulation, like Hobbyking sells, but automotive wire is fine too.

I always over size my wiring by a gauge or two. Unless weight is a real issue then you won't go wrong throwing a few extra grams at your wiring.

The 9.6v suggests a NiMH/NiCd pack, which may well have 14awg on it (or less), in which case there's little point in using anything thicker than that for the main power stuff.

You could drop to 16awg for the drives, but as others have said a bit of overkill is no bad thing and you only need to buy the one thickness if you stay all 14awg. Later down the line you're more likely to use 14awg+ anyway so building up stock helps too.

This is assuming the popular flexible silicone type wire mentioned above, such as: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...icon_Wire.html

Register To Comment