Register To Comment

Thread: Clusterbot immobilisation rules

So, I was looking at the rules the other day (as you do) and I've seen that the 1 part immobile/ whole cluster is out rule is still in place - I'm not one to try and change the rules or anything but is there any reason this is the case instead of a 60 or 75% of the weight rule like I believe the SPARC and RFL rulesets use?

My sentiment with regards clusters is that if you lose a half you shouldn't be classed as immobile since you can still fight, but obviously it's going to count hugely against you in the case of a judges decision... I think that's fair considering the disadvantages you put yourself at by having machines of lesser weight. It also pretty much entirely shuts out clusters like the ones on Battlebots, specifically like Witch Doctor & Shaman and I like the diversity that sort of design brings, good for the sport and all that.

It probably won't stop me building a cluster (I've got one going to the Beetle champs already even though it's somewhat less competitive) but it'd be nice to see them a little more viable, I think the current ruling on it is just a bit too restrictive for machines of this type and I think that's reflected in the lack of clusterbots at present...

This is sort of my point though with regards the Battlebots clusters, we'll never see that type of design over here because let's face it, who'll put a tiny robot that would be an extremely easy KO? Would seriously love to see one kind of variation on that though some time (and a side note, massively jealous that you've seen both of those robots in person hahaha)

I get what you're saying with them not being as competitive too Ady, but they'll struggle even more with this sort of ruleset in place... I reckon a competitive cluster could be done though with brushless and lipos being the norm. Would be tough but I reckon it'd be worth an attempt at least!

I think the current ruling for Robot Wars is 55% of the total weight has to be immobilised to be counted out

For every other class at the minute anyway it's one part out, whole robot out.

Register To Comment