Register To Comment

Thread: Lipo Charging

If it's one of the cheap Turnigy one's from Hobbyking you charge through the balance plug, get yourself a 5A laptop power supply off ebay and that will run the charger from the mains.

Depends on the charger, some use both some just use the balance plug.

For 12V power in search 'LED power supply 12V' on ebay (supply your own plug). I use these on my feather charger, heavy charger and 2 on my 3D printer. :P

Quote Originally Posted by daveimi View Post
    Oh cool ok that's great thanks How do the expensive ones like this charge? Is it through the balance plug and discharge plug etc?

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking..._GENUINE_.html
    £16 for a lipo charger is excessively cheap. Expensive chargers are around £200-300 plus power supply. depending on what your doing I would be vary wary of such cheap quality chargers. I've seen a number of them fail in a way that can cause damage to your batteries, and in turn add unnessary risk to your home. It doesn't mean you should never buy a cheap charger, but you will need to take extra care when charging and NEVER leave them unattended incase of a failure.

To answer your question though, higher power chargers (not higher cost) tend to charge through the main power leads whilst using the balance leads to measure the voltage difference between each cell. If they are out of balance they will charge through the main leads and discharge individual cells at the same time. This isn't ideal as it builds up heat, but also isn't great for the batteries. It also takes a long time to charge if your batteries are getting weak or out of balance.

More expensive chargers such as the CellPro/PowerLab range charge through both sets of leads. They will slow charge through the balance port to increase a cell voltage rather than discharge all the others to lower them. They look after the batteries far better.

I use an Imax B6 charger, which has balance and main leads. I got mine for £15 with a PSU built in.

The PSU gave up after a few years (replaced from ebay for a few pounds) and the menu buttons have all fallen off.

But for £15 it does the job of charging! Option to charge up to 5A, but keep the amps low and it'll help look after your batteries.

Register To Comment