Register To Comment

Thread: What defines the combat tiers?

when it comes to fighting robots, I understand that there's various levels of competitive play, fun and full combat. I get that fun has a wider range of robot designs and styles, whereas full combat is pretty much all spinners. The question I have is what considerations do you need to take into account when it comes to building a robot for full combat and what differences it entails?

Actualy, it's "competition fights" or whiteboards.

Whiteboards are "fun" fights on a free to enter base.

Competition fights are in a series of fights like any decent competition.

Both can be with or without spinners.

What is the difference? In Europe, not much.

Heavies, there isn't an arena in use that can take spinners.
    Feathers , it depends what arena is used.
    Raptors have a few limitations, but those are not an impediment for creative builders. (main things are the limitation on voltage and motors)

I'm not well versed in the lighter classes like beatles or ants. So that's up to somebody else.

In Australia, they have the 30 lbs Sportsman Class, and there the spinners are severly limited in power.

Warning, even friendly weaponless demo fights in any weightclass can result in serious damage.

ok, but then when your making your robot what do you normally take into account when you are making it for whiteboards and when your making one for competition fights?

Build for competition. Throw it into a whiteboard if you have time at the competition.

as in what do you need to take into consideration when it comes to building for competition xD

The same as when you build for whiteboards.
    A dependable machine with the 3 capacities of a mechanical gladiator.

Resilience, manoevrability and firepower.

That anything build by men can be destroyed by men

Our machines are build with two things in mind.

1) Destruction, any machine will deal some and receive some.
    2) Fun, you need to enjoy building, fighting, maintaining and upgrading your machine. Winning is most likely my least favourite attribute to this hobby.

To really answer your question, try to build something modular enough to allow for easy fixes.
    Like:
    Make sure you can reach your wires without taking everything apart.
    Make the drivetrains in such a manner you only need to undo 4 bolts to get them out and replaced.

Furthermore, Never skimp on materials unless you can get them free or for next to nothing.
    10mm hdpe as armour will get banged up, shredded and ripped off in a competition against a tough spinner.
    But it is light and cheap enough to bring spares. Mild steel might sound like a better option but weighs 10x more, buckles easily and is difficult to repair with limited tools. Going all out and reaching for high grade steel is still heavy but is less likely to buckle. Still a difficult repair...

What I am trying to say is, take a look at your own limitations. And work with them.
    I can't work metals with my current setup so I work with hdpe. My machines are higher in maintenance yet lower in building costs and simple tools will allow me to work on it even at an event.

My advice would be KISS: Keep It Simple, Stupid.

The less complicated you make a machine for all purposes will increase reliability. Your robot will take hits and knocks whichever kind of fight it goes in, so build basic and build stronger than you think and see if it survives. I've seen people who think things like chopping board for armour would survive....comes out in several pieces.

It's a good idea to have a trawl through the build diaries to find out what people have used, whats broken, and gauge your design from that info.

Register To Comment