Register To Comment

Thread: Help With Wheel Attachment

Hey, I need a bit of help to decide whether I got the wrong stuff for my wheels or if I'm just being dumb.

I bought some Colson wheels with a 1/2" Hex Bore on them, and some 1/2" nuts from Gimson Robotics a while ago and got around to trying to fit them into each other but ran into a problem.

The nuts themselves are slightly too big for the holes and trying to press the nut into the hole just bent the edges instead of going in.

The wheels were a pain to get, meaning I'm pretty cautious around them, so I stopped when I saw I was just bending the edges.

Am I being too cautious with the wheels and should I just keep pushing the nut in, or should I get on the hunt for different nuts? (If the latter, what's a good place to get the nuts?)

How about filing the sides of the nuts down slightly until they are a tight fit?

Put the nuts in the freezer overnight, and heat up the wheels in hot water. Maybe that helps.

Use a caliper to measure both and record the difference in diameter on here.

Quote Originally Posted by typhoon_driver View Post
    Use a caliper to measure both and rrecord thee difference in diameter on here.
    From face to face it's 0.496 inches on the wheel amd 0.560 inches on the nut.

That's a large difference, no way they are pressing together without something breaking! I still think the option is to reduce the size of the nuts until they fit. Do you want them to be a permanent press fit or do you need them to slide out again?

The .496 is normal for a plastic 1/2" hex.

But .560" (14.2mm) isn't even close to 12.7.
    On the other hand, 0.560" is the standard hex size for a normal, commercial 3/8 UNF nut.

You need something custom made then. A possible solution is to drill out a 5/16" nut with 9.5mm and rethreading it with 3/8unf.

Oh, I have a few of those already....

Take a file to the nut and with a bit of patience it would be a snug fit.

Register To Comment