Register To Comment
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flail as a Weapon

Flails are great at whipping out and then stopping without stopping the main body of the mechanism they are attached to when they hit something hard. This means they are wonderful for cutting grass on rocky and uneven ground as I have found out recently having purchased a flail mower. They are however not all that great when it comes to transferring energy to an opponent in the arena which is what you would want it to do. For a flail to be of use, I'd say that you would have to have around 30 to 40 percent of the machines weight in the flail head. Make it as heavy as possible.

One weapon, one purpose and keep that purpose as simple as possible. Multiple weapons on one machine or multiple uses for one weapon rarely if ever work well because you have to make too many sacrifices to try and include all the elements. Jack of all trades yet master of none.

You are focusing on the wrong equation. Firstly the equation you state deals with motion in a straight line not rotationally. Secondly you should focus on the rotational kinetic energy not the force as this will not be a force that your opponent sees unless you are continuing to accelerate into them (unlikely). A spinning weapon of any sort generally reaches a velocity and then stays there.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ro...enJoixaq-jg_gH

Have a read and a play with the numbers.

Apologies. Let's take it back to basics. So the equation for kinetic energy in a straight line = 0.5 x mass x velocity squared. Now when it comes to rotational kinetic energy instead of mass we use a term called the moment of inertia. Without going into detail this is a term which relates how the mass is spread around the center of rotation. There are various standard figures for this and other more complex ways to calculate it. Instead of linear velocity we use a term call angular velocity. The units of this are in radians. The long and short of it is that there are 2 x pi radians in 360 degrees (without going into detail). So we instead get 0.5 x moment of inertia x angular velocity squared.

Another way to calculate it is using this handy online calculator http://www.teamcosmos.com/ke/ke.shtml

That's probably confused you some more but dinner is ready so I need to go.

edit - Just to add, I would go speak to your physics teacher about this. Being able to put it in a real world example will certainly make equations of motion more interesting!
    Last edited by typhoon_driver; 7th September 2015 at 19:52.

I'd look at using a solid lump of metal. Now this being for a beetleweight, something like the head of this hammer might be a suitable candidate with the hickory handle removed and a chain attached through the hole.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Geological...item2a4cbacf99

I suspect you could find something similar for cheaper. But a big lump of steel or similar is likely to be your best option for a flail head.

edit - I'm not sure what access to workshop equipment you have?
    Last edited by typhoon_driver; 11th September 2015 at 08:35.

Register To Comment