Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beetle spinner parts

I use Beltingonline.com for pretty much all things transmission. For beetle scale weapons I'd suggest 6 or 9mm wide HTD3 timing belts/pulleys. You can get them to machine the bore, fit setscrews or keyways as needed (at additional cost).

It was maybe a good idea to sell it as it's got a massive, Flatulence-sized weak spot, which I have taken advantage of on numerous occasions now :P

Hi Dave, the servo was the biggest one that was available on GiantCod/GiantShark at the time I bought it (~2011). I think it only cost me £15 and was rated at 20kg/cm. GS is no longer in business but there will be other servos out there of equivalent size and power, no doubt somewhere on HobbyKing.

I've got a couple of pictures of the insides of Flatulence but I'm just about to head out so will post them once I'm back. If you're planning on being at the November Iron Games final I'll have it there too so you'll be welcome to have a nosey in about it.

This is probably the simplest picture of the insides, taken a few years ago. The massive servo sits on its long end, with the horn connected directly to one of the lifting arms. I then bolted a piece of HDPE to the opposite side of the servo (effectively its bottom) with an M6 bolt protruding and I use this as a pivot point for the other lifting arm support.

As I said, the servo is rated at 20kg/cm, so over the full length of the arm, it's not actually got a huge amount of power on the end of the flipper but it's enough to tip other robots over if the angles are right.
    The drive motors here were some of the MFA 15:1 motors, but I found them to be quite slow and underpowered so I changed to the 1000rpm motors that everyone uses and it was a big improvement. The battery in the picture is an old nicad pack from a drill, but I've since changed that to a lipo.

This is a more up-to-date picture of the insides, although still with the old motors:

The lipo is mounted underneath the radio receiver, just held down with a polycarb clamp. The bit right at the front is the BEC, as the ones on the drive ESCs weren't powerful enough. Incidentally the drive ESC are Botbitz 10A ones and they're located in the back corners, along with the wiring loom.

Here's something that you might be interested in if you're considering a lifter http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking...arehouse_.html

It's rated for the same as Flatulence's servo (20kg) and is relatively cheap, It's actually the servo i'll be using for my champs entry this year. For the price it seems rude not to give it a try.

Register To Comment