Register To Comment
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brushless Motor Ratings

I'll throw my two cents in seeing as Undercutters seem to be my thing, I can see the draw of wanting to mount the blade directly to the output shaft but for Beetles i would strongly advise against it. The current crop of Beetleweight spinners are truly scary machines, Lynx's single tooth bar has made it through 15mm hdpe and 3mm (Jamie?) steel, to support that it needed a 12mm high tensile shaft and needed the be run via a pulley. Obviously i can only advise, do what you feel like doing but the power to weight ratio of these machines means that your brushless' output shaft will likely Die a very quick death.

Edit: I seem to have confused Beetles with Feathers

I think my point still stands, doubly so if you're planning a Feather
    Last edited by mrsam; 24th August 2015 at 13:51.

The smaller motors use 4 or 3.17 (1/8") shafts. That is asking for dead motors after the first hit.

Quote Originally Posted by daveimi View Post
    Been looking at a lot of the hobbyking 28mm and 35mm ish sized stuff and a lot of the shaft diameters appear to be something of an inch (pet peeve of mine). However just found a fingertech blade mount I can get with paypal and the guy apparently can drill them to what you need. Want to build something that doesn't need a pully, just mount straight to the motor. I know that's not the best idea but it's a start. Want to use a light blade at high rpm as an undercutter. Something like alex's robot or sam's.
    Don't do what I did with that under cutter beetle... bad idea! I did that so I had something besides a pushing box.

Mounting something directly to the motor in a FW is generally a bad idea because the shafts will never be thick enough to take the loadings. I wouldn't get a FW motor with a shaft that is less than 6mm, and even then I might want to swap it out for something thicker. I swapped C3's shaft from 6mm steel to 10mm Ti.

Doing it in a beetle is viable if you are careful. Just make sure you get it right or you will fine it will break very quickly.

Are you trying to build a beetle or a feather btw? You have asked about both so I'm now confused.

The easiest way to do what you want is to use round belt pulleys, you can get some custom machined or i'm sure Will or somebody with a 3D printer would be more than happy to print you a set.

Just take a bit of time to look at the set ups of some of the current Beetles and you'll get an idea of what works and what doesn't, if you're looking at something similar to the power that Alex's had your set up doesn't have to be all that strong, if it' something like Lynx/Soundwave/Inertia where the power of the weapon is far greater then your support it will have to be fairly beefy.

Only one way to get said experience. No one built a spinner before their first spinner, or had experience in CAD before learning CAD. Got to go through the motions!

Register To Comment