Register To Comment
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [BW] GR-01 Build Diary

That looks mental! I love it! Just make sure it cant get stuck on its side

The CAD looks great but there are some improvements you can make:

The pyramid shape looks cool but it raises the drum off the floor, this prevents the drum from hitting low hight bots and wedges will be able to get under your bot from all directions. If you use a shape like this, the drum will be far more effective:

This also gives the bot a wedge as a secondary weapon and makes the bot harder to attack from the rear.

Another possible issue is the small pulleys driving the wheels. Because the belt is driving three wheels in a triangular pattern, it will not be engaging many teeth in the pulleys and might slip or rip teeth off the belt. you could make the pulleys larger or add an adjustable idler wheel to make sure there is plenty of tension on the belt. Having an adjustable idler also makes assembling the bot much easier as you can put the belt on while its slack. In the design above, you could run the belt like this:

While adding the idler is a good idea, wrapping a toothed timing belt backwards over the motor pulley isn't so much

But I'd agree with reducing the height of the robot to bring the drum closer to the floor. It does look like the teeth would be quite far from the ground otherwise, and most of the current crop of beetles have a rather low profile. Great design and research work so far though!

Doh, what was I thinking? Double sided timing belt, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by overkill View Post
    Doh, what was I thinking? Double sided timing belt, perhaps?
    I've been looking into those for ages (that design is getting to look an awful like Conker 4, and its his first try!) But they are very expensive and I've never found anything that could go in a Beetle sized robot. I am sure they are out there but they are proving damn difficult to find.

Yeah, but not in a length you can actually use in a beetle, minimum length I have found is 565mm: http://www.beltingonline.com/5mm-dou...ing-belts-4574

Register To Comment