Register To Comment
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie/oldbie

Quote Originally Posted by Garfie489 View Post
    Regarding above, those are Heavyweight motors - itd be best to stick to others advice and start with featherweights.

Electronically, youd need at the very least a receiver, transmitter, ESC, batteries, and motors. As you start to include weapons and so on it becomes more complicated, however those along with wiring and connectors (remembering a removable link) are the basic electronic start points.
    Thank You

Its going to be a spinning robots. And I never liked starting small. I've always chucked myself in the deep end

Hi James

Welcome to the forum, Yes you can start with a heavy, I did and it was not a good one,

I would suggest,
    Reading lots of threads on this forum dealing with Heavyweight robot builds.
    Next go along to an event or two, to see how other people have made their robots.
    Robot Marketplace is a good site for parts but some are expensive.
    Make a simple robot that works and build up from that.
    Make it easy to fix! It will need lots of fixing.

to summarise
    It is harder than you think,
    It is costlier than you would want,
    But more fun than you can imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by craig_colliass View Post
    Reading lots of threads on this forum dealing with Heavyweight robot builds.
    Next go along to an event or two, to see how other people have made their robots.
    Make it easy to fix! It will need lots of fixing.

It is harder than you think,
    It is costlier than you would want,
    But more fun than you can imagine.
    Firstly to answer what you said. We dont currently do spinners in the UK due to safety restrictions.

Secondly, cant agree more with Craig and i highlighted the main points.

Please get yourself down to an event, i done that for 2 years before i started and it helped me alot (obviously you can just come once and start from that, it helps alot to see the robots first).

Secondly, if you want to dive in the deep end - build a championship Featherweight. That really is the deep end, and it still has all the advantages of building a feather over a heavy. It can even be a spinner, however i cannot stress how dangerous that can be with inexperience. Id personally advise against it and build a rambot first, you will then have a base to work off and weaponise (as craig says, build up from that).

Alot of stuff i buy i just get from Ebay, Hobbyking, or just doing google searches for exactly what i want aswell.

Im going to Gloucester Robot Wars 2015 with my girlfriend witch were both looking forward to. Will be drawn up designs very soon

do yourself a favour and purchase the VIP tickets, then you can see the pits and talk to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe01 View Post
    do yourself a favour and purchase the VIP tickets, then you can see the pits and talk to us.
    Yes I hope to do that

Does anyone now if there an online battle bot design site

Quote Originally Posted by J.A.G View Post
    oes anyone now if there an online battle bot design site
    What do you mean by 'design site'? Regardless, the answer is basically no, there are no websites that can straight up design you a robot. There is the Riobotz manual, but that is an online book/ downloadable PDF.

None of the parts linked are suitable. I strongly advise deciding on what type of robot you want to build in reasonable broad detail (Ie number of wheels, weapon type). Otherwise it's hard for us to help and we'll just be taking shots in the dark at components.

I strongly advise a non spinner featherweight, you'll be able to fight it more and won't make the 'first robot mistakes' on a costly heavyweight.

For a transmitter a DX6i is always a safe bet for robot combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakey View Post
    None of the parts linked are suitable. I strongly advise deciding on what type of robot you want to build in reasonable broad detail (Ie number of wheels, weapon type). Otherwise it's hard for us to help and we'll just be taking shots in the dark at components.

I strongly advise a non spinner featherweight, you'll be able to fight it more and won't make the 'first robot mistakes' on a costly heavyweight.

For a transmitter a DX6i is always a safe bet for robot combat.

Its going to be a heavyweight with. Two wheels powered by two 1000wat motors
    Its going to have a spinning disc powered by another 1000wat motor

Or a flipper powered by a small air compresser like an airbrush compresser.

Register To Comment