Register To Comment
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First robot build - Trident (FW) Need help plz

So, yeah...
    One of our members left the team, so that is 4 of us left.
    So for that person and other roboteers in the forums I'm going to say these 3 things.
    1. Even though all of our work has been posted under my username, I Consider it to be a team forum poster, I'm just the person who posts it.
    2. Any future robots we planned, will be shared, meaning we all build one robot, 1 ant (siren), 2 beetles (unnamed) and 1 feather (trident). The heavy (posiden) will be built later on once we have the money.
    3. Even though people have different opinions about things, doesn't mean we will always go with your ideas and suggestions, sure it may have a fault on the first match but the whole process is trial and succeed.

Other than that, if anyone has any idea what weapon type (pneumatic, springer or batteries) would be best to flip all featherweights and if possible the house robots and if you have any ideas for the interchangeable weapons, please reply

Thanks for the support
    Many thanks
    Doodle
    Team Aqua (temporary name)
    Last edited by Doodle2411; 8th July 2015 at 22:09.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonzrmetal View Post

I'd imagine robots like Beauty could flip the house robots, I think it's just a matter of courtesy towards John that they don't flip them. I saw Matilda flipped in one of the DVDs RR used to sell and I can imagine it getting rather expensive and annoying for John if his house robots kept getting broken, especially with the new shell he made for Matilda. Perhaps someone more experienced can correct me if I'm wrong on that, this is just my best conjecture on the subject.
    Tell that to OLL-E...

Thanks for the suggestions guys,
    Sorry I haven't been active recently, it's just been a hectic month for me so far.
    So we originally liked the idea of having a springed flipper robot as it would be unique, because it is so unique however, the reason not many people use it is because it is complicated, so we kind of like the idea of lifters. I'll try to see if I can dig up some videos from the Internet. As our spring idea is out of the picture for the moment, we will try and Base our lifting mechanism around Richie as it is the only FW I know to use it (sorry if you feel like we are stealing your design, it is only for the mechanism, not the entire robot.)

As we have previously discussed, the robot will be a FW,
    other future robots will be announced when they are being built, until then, our main focus is Trident.

I can understand why John would be annoyed at robots flipping matilda's, but since OLL-E is the new house robot, we feel like that would be a good target to entertain.

Remember to post what kind of interchangeable weapons you would like to see in competitions

Thanks for the support
    Many thanks
    Doodle
    Team Aqua (temporary name)

Even though it is a good offer, I will have to refuse for 2 reasons.

1. The journey between us is too great and we don't plan on entering an arena or going to a live tour til the start of next year.

2. We really have no idea what motors we need to be able to lift a featherweight and if possible OLL-E, we want it to be light as well as small so we can fit it all in, so if anyone has any suggestions for 3 featherweight lifting mechanisms that are small, can lift about 40kg each and run on 12 volts, your support is appreciated.

If anyone also has any suggestions for any interchangeable weapons you would like to see, please reply.

Thanks for the support
    Many thanks
    Doodle

Quick question,

Would it be better to have 2 wheel motors to keep the weight down but have less pushing power or go for 4 and have the opposite? Our plan is to make the robot weigh in at 10kg and the weapons to be 3kg (or 1kg for each of Trident's main spikes)

If anyone also has any suggestions for any interchangeable weapons you would like to see, please reply.

Thanks for the support
    Many thanks
    Doodle
    Last edited by Doodle2411; 19th July 2015 at 21:47.

Also may change the size of the robot from recent finds that I'll post tomorrow.
    Last edited by Doodle2411; 19th July 2015 at 21:49.

So I have no idea what the hell a linear actuator is, but is commonly used in other lifting robots, so I did some research and found a website that sold them.

http://www.gimsonrobotics.co.uk/GLA-..._actuator.html

If anyone has had any previous experience with these, please tell me how good they are, how much can they lift and if it is possible to fit 3 in my robot.

Thanks for the support
    Many thanks
    Doodle

Gimson actuators come in a few flavors. From 20 kg to 400 kg.

As I said, I have no idea what a linear actuator is and neither does any of the team.

(to george) alright, mabye 3 is a bit overboard, so I may just put in 2, one for 2 spikes and 1 for the other.
    Did more research on a specific linear actuator and found these.
    http://www.gimsonrobotics.co.uk/GLA7...-actuator.html

Once again I don't know how good they perform or if they are any good at all. It says each one can lift 76kg and runs from 3-18 volts,the recommended is 12 volts. This could be ideal for us as we would easily be able to lift a featherweight and heavyweight with ease, the only problem would be to balance it all out.

It also states that they are surprisingly light for the power it gives, but I still have no idea on how they work and how to connect them to my interchangeable spikes.

Also, leave a comment on any interchangeable weapon you would like to see in an event. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
    Doodle

Register To Comment