Register To Comment
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Designing a Heavyweight

Quote Originally Posted by harry hills View Post
    Personally I'd love to see a grab and lift style of robot in the UK. If done properly it could be competitive as well as entertaining.
    I was thinking the same thing Haz. I don't think they'd be as successful here tbh, in a 1v1 situation it's fine but not in a melee. Same with the dustpan concept, easy to do but no-one here does it.

Hi
    I would think something like Big nipper would be the most competitive type outside flippers, as it has won the UK HW championships twice. the only none flipper in the last 10 years to do this I think.
    The down side it is very complex and needs continual maintenance to keep it reliable. If you can make the show at Guildford have a look round at what's there, and a chat.
    Craig
    Team Saint

Quote Originally Posted by HereticBlue View Post
    I was thinking the same thing Haz. I don't think they'd be as successful here tbh, in a 1v1 situation it's fine but not in a melee. Same with the dustpan concept, easy to do but no-one here does it.
    In a competition you only really get 1 on 1 so there is no point in designing a machine to deal with melee combat when its very rare in HW combat, and in a Melee things are so chaotic you just have to roll with the punched... or the flips, you just have to deal with things as they happen.

Something like SOB from the US or Complete control would be amazing, and I am sure you could make a compact 4 Bar with a bit of thought. I had wondered about mounting any gas and buffer tanks across the width of the bot rather than its length so you get a really wide lifter that can to is short, sharp bursts.

Mantis still excists. Sans drives and pump tough. Needs an extensive rebuild to become competitive in the current enviroment.
    But if we can replace the burned out pump and check valve setup, the weapon in itself is back in action.

Mantis just needs new hoses and the old pump setup for the weapon to work.
    Unfortunatly that original died in a demo with Tough As Nails.
    The replacement setup was a failure as the O2 event demonstrated.

Pumps, any decent hydraulics shop has sets that are used for tailgates and such.
    Seperate pumps can be coupled to any motor with a suitable rpm range.

Andy, maybe you can source an original setup for Mantis. At least we can reactivate the weapon.

Register To Comment