Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ampflow

I'm thinking of choosing these chaps, for my heavy and the wheeled motor option looks interesting. They also do the speedcontroller. Does anyone have experience of the amp flow stuff before I make my purchase?

The only experience I have with magmotors is with the small S28-150.
    Don't like those, as they always ran hot, even without a load.

Exactly which parts are you considering? I have used the Ampflow motors for years and while they run hot, they will take quite a beating.

The A28-400-G

http://www.ampflow.com/ampflow_gearmotors.htm

This controller

http://www.ampflow.com/motor_controller.htm

I'm really after advice in regards faults or issues that people might have had, or OOO wrong motor for a heavy Buddy

As long as you are not facing US spinners, that combo should last a long time. I probably wouldn't over-volt these due to the heat they generate and the motors wear out their brushes faster than you'd expect, so buy a spare set or two. Its also a good idea to stick electrical tape over the brush caps to stop them working loose.

*Stupid question time*

Think that controller would be just as good for Bosch 750's in 36v?

Nick, what failure do you see in the event of going against a spinner, assuming the robot was adequately armoured.

Surely 2 Vypers would do Bosch 750s on 36v just fine for lower cost

I have used the Ampflow A28-150 since 2008 (including at Robogames). The main problem I have had is that large spinner impacts can cause the ends of the brushes to flake. This leaves a very thin end on the brush, which generates extra heat, wears down faster and covers the insides of the motor in graphite. I'm using the motor to power a spinner, so the motor is getting a much harder time than if it was a drive motor - you would get less wear than me. The thing to do is regularly check one brush in each motor and it it is chipped, look at either replacement or filing the ends flat on all four brushes. The motors are easy to service and I have rebuilt them over & over.

Update: I agree with Jarvis: two Vypers are cheaper and have more current capability than the ampflow ESC. They are also smaller and lighter and very well constructed. Since the A28 motors have two independent windings, its easy to use two ESCs on them.
    Last edited by overkill; 1st June 2015 at 13:54.

I also agree with Jarvis the Vyper looks really nice, I reckon i'll go for the A28's with Vypers. I now need a fat Brushless and esc to drive the drum. Your ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Register To Comment