Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mini mill / lathe

My advice would be to not bother with a lathe / mill combo machine. They end up making concessions to each function which hinders the other.

The milling machines I would recommend are the sieg milling machines. There are a number of sizes available. I owned the SX2 model before upgrading to the X3 model. Jamie can perhaps comment on the You can buy them from Axminster. They do occasionally have them available on ebay as a returned item from a customer or ex display and on the two machines I bought, I had no issues. Delivery is usually included in the price too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/axminstera...1&_ipg=&_from=

I have an Amadeal mini lathe. I can't say I'd recommend it, although I have done quite a lot with it. Get what you pay for, for sure.

We have an SC4 lathe and SX3 Mill/Drill, both from Axminster. Annoyingly the mill had some alignment issues straight out the very big box and probably needs dismantling, the lathe makes this odd grinding sound, slight gear misalignment I think, somewhere inside the one bit I cant get too ever since we got it.

They work fine but it's not been a simple get up and go I was rather expecting with either machine.

In hind sight, I would look on ebay for one that has been well cared for and cough up the extra money over a bargain machine.

Let me know if you decide to let your lathe and mill go for oldschool stuff, Alex. I may be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by harry hills View Post
    Hobby machines are always going to be like that. If you buy one its a good idea to strip and clean and tighten and make it nicer. They aren't fantastic out of the box, you need to put some effort in.
    We bought them from Axminster as they are supposed to be the best, you would expect for that kind of money it would be ready to run but apparently not. Doesn't help that the manual that came with it is in Chinese and has appalling diagrams. Oh well, I twill get sorted eventually.

Register To Comment