Register To Comment
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with choosing parts for a first robot, please.

I tend to buy a ratchet set. Get a screwdriver type ratchet (and the perpendicular ones are handy in tight spaces) - and with those two ratchets just get an entire bit set.

Costs more than a screwdriver, but what you end up with is an interchangeable screwdriver and additional tool for tight spaces which hopefully should be adaptable to any situation. Should only cost about £30 aswell if you find something cheap but has a wide range of bits.

On the 1 ESC 2 motor front it is very common particularly when using ESCs like the TZ85 that you can keep chucking more motors at all day and it'll be fine :P You simply wire the motors on one side in parallel. So 2 wires from one of the motor wires on the TZ85 to each motors positive, and another 2 wires from the other wire to each motors negative.

Ok, great. Thanks very much!

Ok, so I'm thinking about to buy a charger for this battery:
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html, which I'm using to power 4 12v cordless drill motors.
    I've read in several other threads/posts on this forum that the IMAX B6 is a good first charger, but it needs a separate power supply. Considering the vast range in prices of power supplies, I'm very unsure which one to buy. Could anyone give me any advice on which would be a suitable (and relatively cheap) power supply for the IMAX B6, please?
    Last edited by dotDominic; 6th May 2015 at 18:56.

@Garfie489
    Thanks very much. I saw that one, but wasn't sure if it would do the job. (The reviews of it are hardly detailed...) Thanks!

Ill admit with my experience of it, its not exactly high power. But as long as its got a decent mains supply i havent had any problems with it.

Just dont expect to put a high amps through it in order to get a quick charge. Balance charge every time, and give the batteries some respect and it shouldnt struggle.

Cool, thanks very much! Right now I'm not looking for any really fast charging, just something that works.

Also, just read this thread regarding mixing issues with DX6is and BotBitz ESCs. I imagine everyone on here has already read it, but here it is anyway: http://www.fightingrobots.co.uk/thre...-spektrum-dx6i Not really convinced I'm up to the task of hacking these, particularly when I've never soldered any before. (Not comfortable thinking that one of the first things I try soldering on is an ESC worth £44...) So I'm thinking I might buy a cheaper transmitter which doesn't have this problem. (Or isn't as affected by it.)

But it just made me wonder why people don't control their robots like this, rather than using one control stick:
    Dominic's Pretty Naff Diagram.jpg

I imagine this type of control has a name, but I've no idea what it is. I just would've thought that would stop that dead zone in the corners of the control as discussed in the above thread. But since I haven't heard of anyone using it (and that I'm a total newbie to this sort of thing), I'm guessing there is some major problem with trying to control a robot in this way?
    Sorry about all these questions.
    Last edited by dotDominic; 7th May 2015 at 10:25.

I believe that problem was on the V1s, the V2s i have dont seem to have the same problem.

Also that control type is tank steering effectively. its really hard to be accurate using that system. For example, if you want to go straight down a line, you need to accelerate both sticks at the same rate, and hold them both fully up.

Theres then an added problem of adding a weapon control which is why many use one stick. And also in order to drive that way you need to do the mixing yourself in your head, often itll lead to a very binary and inaccurate form of driving style. My using the mixing included in the transmitter, its just one less thing to think about whilst driving.

Its certainly doable, but its likely to cause more problems than it fixes. You could certainly try learning that way, but its less of a headache to not do it - the driving comes more naturally

Superb, thanks very much! I was very worried about having to hack ESCs on my own, so that's a huge relief!

Ah, ok. I understand now. Thanks for the explanation! Might be something to play around with when I'm a bit more experienced but for the time being I'll stick with the more tradition method of control. Thanks for your responses!

Register To Comment