Register To Comment
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Help with choosing parts for a first robot, please.

Looking good!

Just realised that it's been nearly a year since my last post on this thread, so I thought I'd make an update. Progress has generally been very stop/start as I live in halls of residence at University, so unfortunately I can't really work on the robot during semester time.

13479477_10205039041856060_323680255_n.jpg ACTUAL VENATOR INSIDES OH MY GOSH.jpg ACTUAL VENATOR OH MY GOSH.jpg

Although Venator isn't quite up and running yet it actually looks like a combat robot now! That's pretty much everything except the battery, steel wedges, power LED and mountings. I also really annoyingly blew something up in one of my ESCs about a month ago so I'll need to do something about that too.

But considering I knew next to nothing about electronics or D.I.Y. before starting this project I'm really happy with how this has turned out so far. (Just pretend those misaligned holes on the lid aren't there.) Hopefully it will actually work when I finally get to turn the thing on!
    Last edited by dotDominic; 17th June 2016 at 20:16.

Looks really nice, good job!

Quote Originally Posted by dotDominic View Post
    Just realised that it's been nearly a year since my last post on this thread, so I thought I'd make an update. Progress has generally been very stop/start as I live in halls of residence at University, so unfortunately I can't really work on the robot during semester time.

13479477_10205039041856060_323680255_n.jpg ACTUAL VENATOR INSIDES OH MY GOSH.jpg ACTUAL VENATOR OH MY GOSH.jpg

Although Venator isn't quite up and running yet it actually looks like a combat robot now! That's pretty much everything except the battery, steel wedges, power LED and mountings. I also really annoyingly blew something up in one of my ESCs about a month ago so I'll need to do something about that too.

But considering I knew next to nothing about electronics or D.I.Y. before starting this project I'm really happy with how this has turned out so far. (Just pretend those misaligned holes on the lid aren't there.) Hopefully it will actually work when I finally get to turn the thing on!
    How did you fix the side panels to the center frame? (those blocks between the front and back wheels)

Thanks, Andy.

@CoolSpeedBot There's a 100 mm bolt which goes through the length of the block, with a barrel nut in the middle. Then there's a hole in the side of the inner bulkhead which allows it to be held in with a washer and nut. Here's a photo of one that was a bit iffy, hope it makes sense.

IMG_3663.jpg

Right now it's the only thing that's holding the wedge and outer armour to inside - now I can see where the wedge actually sits I can bolt it to the inner bulkheads.

Quote Originally Posted by dotDominic View Post
    Thanks, Andy.

@CoolSpeedBot There's a 100 mm bolt which goes through the length of the block, with a barrel nut in the middle. Then there's a hole in the side of the inner bulkhead which allows it to be held in with a washer and nut. Here's a photo of one that was a bit iffy, hope it makes sense.

IMG_3663.jpg

Right now it's the only thing that's holding the wedge and outer armour to inside - now I can see where the wedge actually sits I can bolt it to the inner bulkheads.
    I see, thanks

So I just tested Venator and it actually worked! ... for about half a second...

There was a bit of a poof around the removable link as I hooked it up. The negative terminal of the link has gone black and no longer conducts. Was wondering if anyone knows what I've just done? Is this due to a naff solder joint somewhere?

Thanks,

Really hard to say, generally smoke could be from anywhere if it's been going for a while but if it's been almost instant that it's happened I would guess it's a battery short. Or maybe that the link wasn't in all the way and it's arced across the contacts, but make sure the battery being shorter isn't the issue first

Ok, thanks for the help. Will look into that.

Get some pictures up, it will make diagnosis much easier.

I agree with tony that at first it sounds like a Dead Short, or possibly you have an ESC in backwards or something. Or it could be as simple as the link was dodgy and not up to the usual standard.

Register To Comment