Register To Comment
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brand new and rare

Status
    Name
    Daniel Booth
    Robots
    Tantibus (FW, active), Road Bump (FW, active)
    I would certainly believe that if the public and other roboteers call it a walker, it's a walker.

Status
    Name
    Gary Cairns
    Robots
    Hornet 2 - retired Boner - retired Smidsy - Sold 540 - Sold PP3D - Active
    Just stumbled across this thread. I'm BIG in favour of keeping the 2 independent DOF ruleset to get the full 100% weight limit increase. This is especially key in the featherweights. Putting 13.6kg machines against a 27.2kg machine is a huge mismatch especially when spinning weapons are brought into the equation.

I do have designs for a feather walker that fits the rule and with my 3D printing business taking off this year I plan to print out a few prototype designs to determine how feasible it is.

Status
    Name
    Mike Jeffries
    Robots
    Nyx, Spanky, Dolos, Hypnus, Algos, Klazo, Reptar, Gelos
    If people are interested in looking at alternate rules packages, here's the SPARC has an optional rule where non-wheeled robots that don't classify as true walkers (typically referred to as shufflers- See Son of Whyachi, Pitter Patter, etc...) get a 50% weight bonus. Things like the Jansen mechanism would classify as a shuffler in that system. That ruleset has been used at NERC events for quite a few years and it has worked quite well.

Status
    Name
    Daniel Booth
    Robots
    Tantibus (FW, active), Road Bump (FW, active)
    I would certainly agree that only true walkers should get the full extra weight allowance, but I maintain that other non-wheeled robots deserve some degree of extra weight rather than none at all. I'm completely behind the SPARC ruling, it sounds like a good compromise.

Register To Comment