Register To Comment

Thread: A most imprompteu encounter

Hey. Remember me? :P

So last week, I went down south with my buddies from the Star Tugs Trust (Info right here m'laddos) to take part in the Brighton Modelworld exhibition. It was late on Friday, the first day, and I took advantage of my break time to wander round the centre and see some of the other exhibits. They were all ruddy fascinating but one in particular caught my eye; the Antweights.com stall.

I had no idea anything robotic combatty would be at the expo, so I was over the moon to find them. Keen for a shot in the demo arena later on when I had a bit more time, I came back the next day and bravely asked if any FRA chaps taking part. The nice young man I was talking to said he happened to be one and introduced himself.

Dave flippin' Weston.

Nearly fifteen years I've been part of these roboteering forums and this was the first time I've ever met any of you in the flesh. And completely by accident, to boot. ;D

Though our time together was brief, Dave and I had some lovely banter on all things RW. He even let me pilot Kill-a-Chav in the demo arena in a melee with some wandering kids. Didn't win, but hung on to a draw. Given it was only my second time driving a robot, I'll take what I can get. :P

I know I've fallen off the radar this last year, guys, but I still think of you as some of my closest friends and bumping into Dave last week reminded me why. I sincerely hope we meet again, Mr Weston and I hope even more that some day I'll get to see the rest of you too.

I'm on the left. Dave's on the right.

Awesome!! Glad you guys had a good time!

Yeah, still have hope that I'll see you lot in the flesh as well. Especially you, Mr. McGregor!

Quote Originally Posted by steven_mcg View Post
    So last week, I went down south with my buddies from the Star Tugs Trust (Info right here m'laddos) to take part in the Brighton Modelworld exhibition.
    I know about the trust. Donated to the exhibition.

Do you know a Ryan Healy perchance?

I had no idea anything robotic combatty would be at the expo.
    Lots of antweights down the south of England.
    Was Bigger Brother not there? It was the year I went.

Quote Originally Posted by psychostorm View Post
    I know about the trust. Donated to the exhibition.

Do you know a Ryan Healy perchance?

Lots of antweights down the south of England.
    Was Bigger Brother not there? It was the year I went.
    Ta very much for chipping in, Ceri. Every little helps.

And indeed I do know Ryan. He's been one of my best mates since our uni days. Took us nearly half a year before we realised we were going to the same place.

If Bigger Brother was at Brighton Modelworld this year, I didn't see it at the Antweights stall. Didn't have much time to check out the full expo in too much depth.

I did vapourbots a long time ago, way back when RW was still on the air and the official RW forum was in existence.

Steve in action

And Oliver Steeples (Cunning Plan, Griffon, Numerous antweights, R2-D2 and Joe 90 Look-a-like) photobombing...

Off the radar? You are now the starter of the first new topic in fanfic in 2015!

Either way, great fun man, thanks for sharing. The writer of PTT4 meeting the bloke who I shared my PTT4 team with! A milestone!

Register To Comment